INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Data CD burning issue  (Read 1339 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Data CD burning issue
« on: September 02, 2006, 11:52:39 pm »

It seems like I constantly run into problems burning CDs in MC and have yet to get a good, clean, easy burn to work.  If the constant issue of it calculating size based on the FLAC quality size doesn't catch me, I get the Failed to Play...You may not have installed on your computer DirectShow filters for decoding the type of file you are trying to play... error.  If that even works and I get it to go, it often times burns with random songs not placed in the folders like they are supposed to be.

I am begging that you guys fix the burning issues for MC 12.  While I dislike CDs, it is the only way I can get audio to my car stereo with good quality.

Work arounds do exist.  I can convert the files I want to burn to a folder and then use Nero--but this is not going to work for my family members.  I keep trying to get them going on burning CDs instead of chancing ruining the original but when I can't even figure it out, that's pretty bad!

Does APE work better?  I keep finding reasons I may need to switch but have lots of reasons to not switch as well.  Do others run into these issues?  Don't people burn CDs often?  I have to imagine there are a lot of other people using FLAC who burn CDs.  How do you guys work with the tough issues presented here?

MerlinWerks

• World Citizen
Re: Horrible CD burning? PLEASE fix for MC 12!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 10:57:35 am »

Does APE work better?

Since you asked  ;D

My entire collection is in APE and I burn CDs quite often to take in the car, camping, etc. and I can't remember ever having a problem burning. This is burning complete CDs and not compilations but I don't believe there would be a difference. Sorry, no experience with FLAC.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 11:47:12 am »

It seems like I constantly run into problems burning CDs in MC and have yet to get a good, clean, easy burn to work.  If the constant issue of it calculating size based on the FLAC quality size doesn't catch me, I get the Failed to Play...You may not have installed on your computer DirectShow filters for decoding the type of file you are trying to play... error.  If that even works and I get it to go, it often times burns with random songs not placed in the folders like they are supposed to be...

This doesn't help the developers. If you are interested in helping to make MC better you should post detailed bug reports instead. Preferably you should submit a separate report for each potential bug.

If you think that FLAC causes problems you could save the files in a playlist before burning, convert the playlist files to wave or APE and try if that changes anything. Use a CD-RW disc to avoid coasters.

Also, if you have DirectShow decoding issues you should make a separate report. FLAC should not use DirectShow so are you speaking about some other format? AAC?

You didn't say what kind of CDs you are trying to burn. Audio or data? Since you mentioned something about calculating size & folder creation I guess you are trying to burn data CDs with conversion to MP3 or WMA. Correct? An audio CD is always limited to 80 minutes if the disc size is 700 MB. The compressed file size doesn't matter with audio CDs.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 08:18:28 am »

Audio CDs work perfectly.  I really just think the only issue is that MC doesn't calculate data cd space based on the converted size vs. the current size before conversion--which is what it uses at the moment.
Pages: [1]   Go Up