INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: jgreen -- Install problems  (Read 1725 times)

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
jgreen -- Install problems
« on: September 21, 2006, 10:09:27 am »

.074 is complaining on launch that the playback engine needs to run once with Power User priviledges, and immediately closes.  Well, it's currently runing under ADMIN priviledges in XP sp2.  I'm guessing the hitch may be my Zone Alarm firewall, which tolerates no funny stuff from apps without advance warning.  So what is it that v74 is trying to do so I can allow it?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Center 12.0.74
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 10:19:02 am »

.074 is complaining on launch that the playback engine needs to run once with Power User priviledges, and immediately closes.  Well, it's currently runing under ADMIN priviledges in XP sp2.  I'm guessing the hitch may be my Zone Alarm firewall, which tolerates no funny stuff from apps without advance warning.  So what is it that v74 is trying to do so I can allow it?
Can you disable ZA to see if that's the problem?

jgreen

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 10:29:35 am »

Oh, this just keeps getting better.  Now the MC install wizard won't allow me to downgrade back to v.73.  On restart I keep getting the error dialogue and I see that v.074 is still listed.

JimH, I imagine that Zone Alarm is the culprit here, but I can't disable my firewall.  Unless somebody has a better idea, I'm just going to to a system restore to get back v.073.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: jgreen -- Install problems
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 10:37:10 am »

jgreen,
I may be wrong, but I don't think there is anything "special" about build 74.  Can you test on another PC to confirm?

I'm not saying that you're seeing things, but you're coming up with some new stuff.

Did you try an uninstall/reinstall?

Anyone else see this?  Or not see it?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 10:41:45 am »

I didn't see any install problems just now when I bumped up from x.73 on my work PC.  It appears to be running fine.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

DarkPenguin

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 10:45:47 am »

Oh, this just keeps getting better.  Now the MC install wizard won't allow me to downgrade back to v.73.  On restart I keep getting the error dialogue and I see that v.074 is still listed.

JimH, I imagine that Zone Alarm is the culprit here, but I can't disable my firewall.  Unless somebody has a better idea, I'm just going to to a system restore to get back v.073.

You could always enable the built in windows firewall and then disable zone alarm for a bit.

Any new software?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 10:46:54 am »

You could always enable the built in windows firewall and then disable zone alarm for a bit.
Or unplug from the network.

jgreen

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 11:21:19 am »

Yeah, this one's all mine.  Thank you all for looking into this, but the "specialness" is the perfect vacuum between jgreen's ears. 

Yesterday I fooled with settings in Zone Alarm's OS firewall, and then disabled them.  Only, disabling the settings without backing out of them essentially locks them down.  Once I'd undone my work all was well again, more or less. 

(jgreen gazes wisfully at his MC 12 Beta Tester badge, a source of so much pride for him, hoping that the recent tarnish won't last.)   

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 11:37:47 am »

;D
Thanks for the confession.  We've always known you were special.

The committee will get back to you about the badge.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2006, 11:38:11 am »

(jgreen gazes wisfully at his MC 12 Beta Tester badge, a source of so much pride for him, hoping that the recent tarnish won't last.)

I don't think tin tarnishes
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up