INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Image Import Questions  (Read 2134 times)

Lt_Core

• Recent member
Image Import Questions
« on: October 16, 2006, 06:20:11 pm »

Hi,

I'm just starting to use Media Center for images, finally. Here's the deal. I have about 4 months of digital camera images in a folder with the following folder naming in my D: download drive (D:\Downloads).

2006_6_20
2006_6_29
2006_7_03
2006_7_11
etc.

On my E: drive I have a Pictures folder with a folder structure like this (separate folders for year/month/date:

2006\06\08

I can manually move pictures into new directories and then perform Tools/Import Media and choose my E:\Pictures folder to find new images. How do I automate this by pointing at my D:\Downloads folder and have MC 11.1.196 move the images into the separate year/month/date folders? Doing this by hand is painful, to say the least.

From here on out I want to try importing pictures through MC but for now I have 500+ images to move to my E:\Pictures. I hope this made sense. Thanks for the help!

Lt_Core

• Recent member
Re: Image Import Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 01:26:01 pm »

No one has any ideas? Not even the MC admins/super users? I've learned a lot from these boards but I can't find any info on my problem. I would really appreciate the help. Thanks!

MarkCoutinho

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 01:37:44 pm »

I'd say: change the folder structure of your e:-drive to the same as your d:-drive. That will make the next step easier. I really don't see why you should keep the naming with the \ sign on the E:-drive.

After you've imported the d:-files select all these files and do a Library Tools, find and replace action on them:
- Find what: d:
- Replace: e:
- select in the left box Filename (path)

That should do the trick.
Good luck!
Mark Coutinho
Dutch Top 40 collector of lyrics, sleeves and bios

Lt_Core

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 01:45:19 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion. I do like the structure of my E: drive.

Year/Month/Date instead of a separate folder for each day, like 2006_08_05.

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 02:02:41 pm »

Whatever. Anyway: I'd suggest to make the structure identical. Thus you can follow my tip.
Otherwise you'll make it yourself pretty hard to automate this.
But perhaps someone else has a better suggestion.
Mark Coutinho
Dutch Top 40 collector of lyrics, sleeves and bios

Lt_Core

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 02:04:04 pm »

Whatever. Anyway: I'd suggest to make the structure identical. Thus you can follow my tip.
Otherwise you'll make it yourself pretty hard to automate this.
But perhaps someone else has a better suggestion.

I wasn't ignoring your suggestion. I appreciate the help. I'm going to play around with it. It's all good :)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 03:50:01 pm »

You have at least two ways to do what you want:

1. Import data from the folder name to three custom library fields by using the underscore as a separator in "Fill Properties From Filename" tool's directory rule.

2. Use these new library fields in "Rename Files From Properties" tool's directory rule.

OR

use the "Find and Replace" tool:

1. Tick only the Filename (path) field
Find what: D:\
Replace: E:\

2. Tick only the Filename (path) field
Find what: _
Replace: \

EDIT
I noticed that your folder names on the D: drive do not contain leading zeros before the single digit month numbers. You may want to use the first approach if this is true. Then you can sort the files in the month order and fix the numbers 1-9 in this field (only 9 quick edits is needed).

MC has the predefined day, month and year columns, but these are not usable for this because leading zeros are not used and months are displayd as names.

EDIT2
Actually, you can use the second approach as well. It is easy to edit a few month folder names in the new folder tree on the E: drive.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up