INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rotate image  (Read 1537 times)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
Rotate image
« on: August 23, 2006, 10:24:01 am »

What is the difference between rotating an image using the "rotate left" etc. tools, and using the "Rotation" tag in files?

Is it safe to use either, in terms of having those images seen correctly in other programs?

I'm tempted to use the former because it updates the thumbnail that way, and so everything looks better.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Rotate image
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 10:38:30 am »

"Rotate Left" / "Rotate Right" change the actual file by doing a lossless JPEG rotation.  (it also clears the EXIF orientation so other programs won't still rotate them)

The database field is applied at display and print time to correctly orientate an image.

This JPEG rotation is a little more work, but with MC 12, once you get them the right way up, all programs will understand them properly. (since it will also reset the EXIF rotation orientation)  However, it does alter the original file (again, it's lossless) and take a little more work.  It's really a matter of preference.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 10:38:47 am »

Also, next build:
Changed: Changing the rotation field for an image causes the thumnbnail to be rebuilt.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 10:45:02 am »

Thanks for the explanation.

:) Cool about the next build.

The image window is also still displaying them unrotated too.  ;)

NickM

• Simplicity isn't always best, but it's easy to fix
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 05:50:24 am »

Having adjusted all the orientation in MC11, MC12 (81) now shows the unrotated thumbnail.  However, by chosing to rotate the image, the rotation goes past the point required and needs to be rotated back.  It behaves as if the default thumbnail does not pick up the previous MC11 rotation.

NickM

• Simplicity isn't always best, but it's easy to fix
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 10:32:07 pm »

I'm still getting this problem in 12.87.  I have tried erasing thumbnails and re-building, but it's still displaying the wrong image.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 10:25:35 am »

I've seen similar issues in the past but never figured it out (especially the "double-rotate" thing you mentioned before).

I'm really posting here for a related request.

Can you please, please, please change the rotate commands when an image playlist is in Playing Now to only rotate the currently playing image?  As it is, you have to do all your rotations from Thumbnails because if you "play" any files it rotates them all (which is pretty useless really -- if you really want to rotate a big batch of images it would be easier to mass-select them in Thumbnail view and rotate them that way).

Plus, there's actually a worse issue:

If you double click on an image to play it (with the default Options --> General --> Behavior --> Double Click setting of Replace Playing Now (all)), it "plays" the whole list.  Then, if you click Back to go back to your view from Playing Now (or if you don't have it set to auto-jump to Playing Now) it appears that only that one image is selected (only the one you double clicked is highlighted).  Like this:

However, if you click the rotate button on a toolbar right then, it will actually rotate every image in the list, rather than that one image!!!  This annoys me constantly, and makes it very difficult (and somewhat dangerous) to use the rotation commands in MC.

I think these two things are related (MC appears to be rotating the current Playing Now list).  Rotating should be limited to selected files only, I think!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up