INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: General Progress Question  (Read 875 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
General Progress Question
« on: October 13, 2006, 11:33:48 am »

I am setting up my new (used) server right now and want to keep moving along.  I would like to install MC shortly and it will only be used on the server as a UPnP server so I can play music from my Netgear MP101 music players.  I have a few questions.

1. Is MC12 stable enough to where I could install it and be happy with it?  I have seen it to be in my very short tests.
2. If not, how easy will the upgrade be?  I really don't like uninstalling or upgrading versions because you never know how careful the programmers were to cleanup after their installs/uninstalls.  I want to keep this computer as clean, slim, and fast as possible because I'm running software RAID-5 on it and need all the speed I can get.
3. How exactly does the auto scan work?  I have used it before but it never seems to scan again.  I'd really like it if there was a way to simply force a scan every day.  I have my ratings for my four users stored in the files as a unique item: A, B, etc.  So, on the server, I can create a group of playlists for each user and then put rating playlists under each user.  So, Ben > 5 star, 4 star, etc.  The rating will be checked from the unique variable I set.  But, I want it to rescan every night when network usage will be lower and it will have more time to do its thing.  Can I force a scan at a certain time at night and just forget the so called auto update?
4. I have a LOT of problems with MC crashing.  It will crash eventually without a doubt and it is more likely to crash if I do things like skip to the next track, turn MP101's off without stopping first, stopping song, pausing, etc.  Any actions like this are very likely to cause MC to crash.  This sucks.  Is there a way to set MC to at least automatically start right back up upon crashing?  At least I wouldn't have to login to my remote server each time this happens!  Better yet--fix the crashing?  It seems like it may be better in 12 but I haven't tested it much yet.
5. Key--where can I purchase an upgrade key?  I feel like there are some great reasons to upgrade and I will but I still wish they could fix the biggest issue I have--the crashing.  I remember telling my cousin that I switched to MC and amazingly, he had heard of it and tried it in the past.  He said he didn't like it because it crashed so much.
6. Is there any way to run MC from a flash key and better yet, login to my home connection and listen to my music?  It would obviously have to be re-encoded to mp3 but this would be great!  I am running SmoothWall as my firewall so how would I have to configure this?  MC never asks for a location for a remote server--it just looks.  This worries me thinking it would only check local connections and never check a specific IP address.  It should also compress the cover art in this case because my default stored cover art is huge!
Pages: [1]   Go Up