INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Serious problem with Audible file playback on iPod.  (Read 1528 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Serious problem with Audible file playback on iPod.
« on: October 31, 2006, 10:54:28 pm »

I have no idea when this started, but I just discovered that Audible files transferred to an iPod via MC12 do not complete -- i.e. the end of the books get cut off.  I was just listening to a book, and about a full minute before the end -- BEFORE the narrator had finished reading the book -- the audio just stopped and the iPod returned to the main menu (which is what it does when finishing a book.)  I tried it again, and it did the same thing.

At first I thought that it might be a problem with that particular file, so I tried playing some other Audible files that I had already listened to, and which I knew had not had this issue when I listened to them before.  I discovered that now, these files ALSO stopped before they were finished.  It appears that the longer the file is, the more of it is cut off at the end.  My 1 hour files only cut off 15 seconds or so, but longer books cut off a minute or more.  I can't say whether or not this happens with "all" Audible files, but it seems consistant in my tests.

When I got home, I was able to hear the end of the book by playing the file in MC, which DID let it finish, but this is obviously a big problem given that I had to wait a while before I could hear the last several lines of the book.

It's important to reiterate that this did NOT happen when the SAME files were transferred to the iPod using MC11 -- as I said, I just tested files that I had heard before, and which HAD completed normally.  This issue has only popped up recently, AFTER I re-initialized and re-synched my iPod with MC12.  With MC11, my Audible files all completely finished playing on the iPod.  I may try once again re-initializing and re-synching my iPod tonight, but given that this takes nearly 5 hours, this isn't something I can easily test.

Note that this could have been a problem for a while now since I haven't listened all the way through any Audible in a few weeks.  I know that some changes were made that effected Audible files on the iPod in build 12.0.80, namely:

11. Fixed: Audible files not tranferring to iPods.

Perhaps this issue has something to do with the changes that were taking place around this time.

Thanks for any help/feedback on this.  The lack of proper gapless playback on the iPod is bad, but this new issue with Audible files is a deal breaker.  I'm using a 5G Video iPod.

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
Re: Serious problem with Audible file playback on iPod.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 02:47:46 am »

I've been doing some testing on this issue.  First, it appears that all Audible files are effected by this issue.  I tested quite a few of my aa files, and they ALL exhibited this behavior of quitting (or skipping to the next "issue") before the end of the file was reached.  As I noted before, the longer the "book," the more of it was cut off at the end.  A 6 1/2 hour book would quite about 1 minute before the end, while a half hour program would be cut off only about 7 to 9 seconds.

I manually deleted and retransferred some of these files to the iPod.  When I played these newly transferred files, they would play "effectively" all the way to the end -- i.e. the half hour programs appeared to play to the end, while the 6 1/2 hour program ended about 3 seconds before the end.  I don't know if the 3 second early ending implies that there is still a "slight" problem, but at least the 3 seconds didn't cut off any of the actual program.

I'm going to do a full re-initialize followed by a full sync now to see if all the Audible files will once again work.

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
Re: Serious problem with Audible file playback on iPod.
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 08:57:48 pm »

I tested the full initialize/sync (using build 104) and so far, things seem to be working a lot better.  Shorter aa files seem to play to the end, and with longer files (over 6 hours) the playback quits only about 2 or 3 seconds before the end of the book, which is typically after all the information is done.  I'm not sure if this "3 seconds early" ending points to a possible issue, or if it's just the nature of Audible files.

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up