INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Took the plunge: v12.0.93  (Read 1747 times)

lee269

• Citizen of the Universe
  • sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
Took the plunge: v12.0.93
« on: October 16, 2006, 01:07:17 pm »

Firstly, apologies for possibly repeating stuff in existing threads that I havent searched for.

Last night I couldnt wait any longer and made the upgrade. I installed the v12 exe and along the way was prompted to automatcally uninstall v11.1. I thought I should make some random comments/questions:

1) it would be good if v12 final could import the v11.1 library automatically, including the location of the library, rather than starting a new scan/import on first run. I had to get deeply involved with the library manager restoring the previous v11.1 backup with my playlists etc. Also I dont want my library in my Docs and Settings folder - I put it on my data drive to be included in backups.

2) A lot of misc settings in options also dont seem to get carried over from v11.1 - things like gapless playback etc - is it not possible to do that on install?

3) Can we get an 'apply' button in the options dialog? Would be useful when doing a lot of options tweaking in different pages of the options. I know there are moves to redesign this so may be unnecessary.

4) Is there a way to not show the tiny album thumbnails next to track in detail view? I would rather just have the musical note icon.

5) Could we get a 'small image' / 'large image' icon either side of the thmbnail slider?

6) Did I say that v12 looks great? Whilst Im sure I have more to ask, v12 is looking really good, and so far all Ive tried seems an improvement. Faster and better. Congratulations.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Took the plunge: v12.0.93
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 01:39:37 pm »

1) it would be good if v12 final could import the v11.1 library automatically, including the location of the library, rather than starting a new scan/import on first run.

It should automatically detect an old v11 library. (unless you erased it on uninstall)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 02:00:07 pm »

4) Is there a way to not show the tiny album thumbnails next to track in detail view? I would rather just have the musical note icon.

Have a look at this post, add your vote and take the posting up to top... perhaps we'll all get back the notes  :D

gappie

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 05:10:14 pm »

2) A lot of misc settings in options also dont seem to get carried over from v11.1 - things like gapless playback etc - is it not possible to do that on install?

i wonder. i guess those values also stay in some kind of table. rip to ape, to which drive etc.... it would be nice to have that as part of the library. so when reinstalling XP or changing the machine, pointing mc to the right library would take over all the options.

im aloud to dream, am i?  :P

lee269

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 12:21:47 pm »

It should automatically detect an old v11 library. (unless you erased it on uninstall)

Matt - I didnt erase it on uninstall - it was still in my library folder (along with regular backup zips). I did however tick 'remove registry entries' I think which might explain options loss I guess. Im back in business now so no harm done.

For the record and from memory I

• Started the v12 install exe
  • Was asked to uninstall v11.1
  • Uninstalled v11.1 (removing registry entries but keeping library - I think there are 2 tickboxes with these options)
  • Chose custom install of v12 but accepted all defaults except stopping launch bar and desktop shortcuts
  • Was asked about purchasing a license
  • Purchased a license
  • Finally v12 opened up and began import
  • Started exploring all the new fun stuff...

StFeder - Ill take a look. :)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 12:28:42 pm »

You can restore a library from v11 in the File > Library menu.  MC 11 made auto-backups so you should have some.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

lee269

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 12:52:41 pm »

Sorry Matt I didnt mention that final step - I restored the final autobackup from v11. All is good now.

I wanted to record what I did to ensure what happened is what you would have expected. I imagine the aim is that v12final upgraders need spend more time entering their credit card details than reconfiguring v12 so I wanted to record what I did even if it only illustrates what I did wrong.

Thanks, and congratulations again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up