INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: uhoh... wmp9 is really good :(  (Read 2497 times)

Eaglesfan

uhoh... wmp9 is really good :(
« on: September 08, 2002, 05:24:48 pm »

I ama registered MJ user and love MJ 8 and am eaglery awaiting Version 9

That said, I downloaded the beta of WMp 9.0.  Oh my gosh!  It is phenomenal.  I have long avoided MediaPlayer as I hate that it wont let you rip mp3s, and its clunky interface was subpar

Here is what stands out for WMP 9:
1) Rating music...  The rating music scheme they have is fantastic.  For those who havent tried the beta, on the music library window is a column for rating where stars are shown.  To rate a song, all you do is click on the stars and drag it to 1-5 for each song. Then the number of stars you picked is shown in the library

2)Playlists- The playlists on WMP are smart.  WMP automatically comes with playlists such as 4 or 5 star songs, for example.  It is a cinch to use.

3)Visualixation "Tolerance"- I always love watching the visualizations. This is one reason I play with winamp from time to tume.  Anyhow, Media Player has an AMAZING vis that T think is new called "tolerance"

Is Windows Media Player perfect?
Well not even close...
MJ has better Mini skins, is still easier and better to organize your music, and well the support :)

But, now that MJ has been crowned the leader by cnet, it has rivals putting up a good fight.  And competition is good, for obviously, MJ will rise to the challenge,,,

So, Can we get a new rating system?  Thanks

Dragyn

RE:uhoh... wmp9 is really good :(
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2002, 05:29:24 pm »

Instead of 1-5 displayed..there should be little surfing jukeboxes (like the stars in wmp). That would be cool. Still would need the number system for smartlists.

Eaglesfan

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2002, 05:40:04 pm »

That would work...  Every music jukebox seems to steal features from the other so why not add a sliding music scale to MJ...

Ohno, just discovered another cool WMP feature...

You can add a toolbar music control buttons when WMP is minimized....

sekim

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2002, 05:47:37 pm »

>>> Instead of 1-5 displayed..there should be little surfing jukeboxes (like the stars in wmp). That would be cool. Still would need the number system for smartlists. <<<

Needs more then 1-5 for a rating system. I do not currently rate anything because it is somewhat limiting. I could use Genre for sorting, but think a larger number system would be quicker and more suitable for my needs.

How 'bout custom ratings in 9? Make it smart enough that if you add more numbers it would automatically pick up on the additions.

I'd like to see crushed competitors icons instead of jukeboxes.

EaglesFan

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2002, 05:57:19 pm »

1-5 works for me...

But I could see how a 1-10 system would be good too

Just to fill in more on ratings and MJ, they have AUTOMATIC playlists that use your ratings... for example they have...
Favorits (all 4 or 5 star rated)
Favorites not played in a while
Favorites Listen to Late at night
Favorites listen to on weekend

And for new music...
Fresh Tracks
Fresh Tracks yet to be rated
Fresh Tracks yet to be played

They also have playlists such as..
An audio CD worth of music
A data CD worth of music

way cool

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2002, 08:24:09 pm »

They also have playlists such as..
An audio CD worth of music
A data CD worth of music

You can do this with MJ quite easy. Look at smartlists instead of playlists. They let you specify, how many songs, which size or which duration you like. I created a smartlist "30min worth of electrical" with filtering genres and duration. They are _randomized_.

But I guess this should be easier to notice. Maybe a playlist-wizard would really be usefull?

steinie

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2002, 08:59:39 pm »

Yeah, but I also heard (read) that MS is in bed with RIAA and many digital material providers, and that WMP9 has Digital Millenium Copyright type stuff in there.  

They can supposedly turn off your ability to listen to mp3's if they determine the files are copyrighted or not paid for, that kind of thing.  Supposed to be some sort of mechanism for charging you for copyrighted songs you play that they can turn on as well.

This really worries me if true.  :(

hiredirects

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2002, 10:09:21 pm »

Hello Mirko,

How do you create a smartlist based upon size or length of play?  How do you randomize it?

thanks a lot!
HD

nila

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2002, 12:39:53 am »

I agree, we need a better rating system.
1-5 is way too limited. 1-10 is better, 1-100 might give people true flexibility and would simply require for an upgrade adding a 0 to all current values.

I'd also like to be able to create smart rating, if a song is played so much over say the last week then it's rating can be auto incremented. Also, the reverse can be true, if it's not played a lot recently it's rating can be decreased.
I'd like to be able to set rules for how this happens, say only drop no more than two rating points from 7 down to 5. And drop the rating for new songs added in the last week that are played less than 3 times for instance.

This would require a log to be kept of all songs played but if each mp3 is given an id then all this would require is that the id and time played is stored, not too much data and wouldn't take up too much space.

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2002, 12:52:12 am »

@hidirects:

I can't remember exactly. But I know where this info was: In the helpfile. This is not aggression to you, but I'm at work and so can't look into it right now. I might later, if you don't figure it out this way.
It's quite easy, besides. Something like "~n 30" (for 30mins) if I remember correctly.

The random is by design (the parameters which filter for Xmins or Ymb do this themselfes).

HTH,
Mirko

Eaglesfan

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2002, 03:59:33 am »

MJ is great for the advanced user.

Honestly, I dont want to make a list on MJ using n or any such terms.  What is nice  is that WMP has learned to keep things simple and usable.

If MJ had a playlist generator and better rating functions, nobody could touch it.

but that new WMP visualization is amazing...

dac4m

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2002, 05:48:05 am »

Hey now I'm an official user on this forum :)

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2002, 07:57:57 am »

Filter for 60min (thanks, Doof(1)) of eletronical music:

"genre=[Dance],[House],[Techno],[Trance] ~t=60"

It's not that complicated, is it?

Use "~n=30" for 30 tracks (I was not correct above).

Listening to: 'Clickwork 91' from 'Smuggler's Run' by 'Blue Boy' on Media Jukebox

(1) Do you known what you nick means in german?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2002, 08:12:39 am »

~t=60 will return 60 minutes of music. Your example said 30. So instead it should be ~t=30.

But I agree that WMP9 handles this a lot better. It's just very clean and easy to use. And you don't have to remember these ~ modifiers.

All in all, I don't see much anything that WMP9 can do that MJ can't. WMP9 just tends to handle it a little more smoothly.

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2002, 08:26:25 am »

I'm going to lock some of the WMP9 threads that have strayed.  Please start a new thread if you need to continue the discussion.  For WMP9 comparisons, please use Doof's thread here:

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/interact/NeoBoard.pl?Action=ShowPost&Board=inter&Post=13730
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox
Pages: [1]   Go Up