INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question on resampling Frequ./Bitrate  (Read 1556 times)

dvdr

• Recent member
Question on resampling Frequ./Bitrate
« on: October 25, 2006, 10:47:06 am »

Hi

I know, how to apply the DSP-options, but still, in my case, there are some questions.

I'd rather not apply resampling, but whenever I switch between different bitrate/bitdepth recordings (ranging from 22.5KHz Audiobooks to 96k/24bit HiRes-files), I have to put MC into stop-mode by deliberately clicking the stop-button, and then play the next album/file. It seems, that my soundcard needs some sort of "stop" trigger, so that it can adjust to the new bitrate/bitdepth. Unfortunately, it also does not support bitrates of 22.5K (my audiobooks). So the only solution to play back all files without manually intervening is to choose resampling to 96k/24bit to not degrade the quality of the 94/24-files on my computer.

So my questions are as follows:
If I set DSP to resample to 96k/24 bit/stereo:

- is a 96k/24bit-file also "resampled" by the DSP or does it
pass the DSP "untouched" (remember: I cannot choose the option "use sourcedepth" due to my soundcards behaviour)?

- In case a 96k/24bit file is "touched": in what way?

- how are 16 bit-recordings resampled to 24 bit - are they just "shifted" to the range 9 - 24 bit or are they evenly "distributed" to the range from 1 - 24 bit?

Thanks for answering the questions!
Joerg

JONCAT

Re: Question on resampling Frequ./Bitrate
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 07:49:54 am »

Great questions...I'd like to know as well.

DC

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 05:48:19 pm »

All data is 32-bit floats inside MC's audio engine.  No dithering is applied so that we maintain a bit-perfect output if you scale down to 16-bits on output.

As expected, resampling (or channel conversion) only operates when the source stream is a different format than the output stream.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

peri-archer

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 11:32:03 pm »

How good is JMC resampling converter? I remembered somebody said it's really good, but how good? I don't mind if you have to use a lot of math or physics to explain it, I can understand it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up