INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannot play/import small WAV file  (Read 2112 times)

dcwebman

• Citizen of the Universe
Cannot play/import small WAV file
« on: October 26, 2006, 08:01:47 am »

I am getting tired of trying to figure out how to answer questions/comments that are put in topics that are then locked. I'd like to be able to at least do an Insert Quote for that message so it has the user's name/date, but cannot figure out how to do that. Anyway, on to the problem.

I reported:
I tried playing a 100KB WAV file when viewing in Windows Exporer. I tried dragging it to Playing Now, right-clicking and selecting Play in Media Center and the various Media Center submenu items. Nothing worked. I am guessing it's because of the size of the file, but it should still work.

Alex then replied:
What is the origin of the file? Do you know its technical details? Can you play the file with WMP or some other player?

I have no problems with wave files that contain uncompressed 2-channel, 16-bit, 44.1 kHz PCM audio (= Redbook Audio CD format).
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=36643.msg250114#msg250114

The answers to Alex's questions:
It is actually a Vonage voicemail wav file. Media Player plays the WAV file fine. It is only 12 seconds long. I cannot import the file either with the following error in the log:

2402422: Import: ImportNewFiles: Adding: d:\temp\vonage.wav
2402438: Import: ImportNewFiles:     Failed to analyze / add

The technical details are:
Bit Rate: 64kbps
Audio sample size: 8 bit
Channels: 1 (mono)
Audio sample rate: 8 kHz
Audio format: CCITT u-Law

Same thing happens in build 101.
Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Cannot play/import small WAV file
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 09:19:55 am »

Would you mind emailing the clip to matt at jriver dot com.  I promise I won't call them back.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 10:49:36 am »

Two small samples that are in standard ISDN telephone format:

u-law wave (US, Asia)   UStelephonyFormat.zip   = dcwebman's format

a-law wave (Europe)    EUtelephonyFormat.zip

It looks like my PC doesn't have the needed codec. I can play the files only with WaveLab. WMP doesn't work.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 11:29:32 am »

dcwebman, my recommendation is to report on bugs in the build threads, but if you need to have a discussion of it, edit the original bug post with a link to a new thread and move discussions there.  That prevents the locking problem when the build threads close.  Also, I know I tend to review individual threads much more carefully than the replies to the build threads.  The build thread comments are usually more for JRiver's folks than us (IMHO).

I tend to download the new builds almost right after they're released (I check when I get home from work, which is usually around 6:30 PM EDT, which is right when they typically post the new builds).  I often don't even see the comments on the build threads until the next day...

Okay... All that said.  I too can't get MC12 to import my Vonage voice mail WAV files.  Up until now I never tried, but you're right, it doesn't work.

Here's a sample WAV file: http://www.geocities.com/ri0n/mc/voice-message.zip

Here's the failure in the Import Log:

Code: [Select]
92789203: Import: ImportNewFiles: Adding: C:\media\test\voice-message.wav
92789203: Import: JRAnalyzer::Open: Start
92789203: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Start
92789203: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFileMJ: Start
92789219: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFileMJ: Finish (16 ms)
92789219: Import: JRAnalyzer::AddFile: Finish (16 ms)
92789219: Import: JRAnalyzer::Open: Finish (16 ms)
92789250: Import: ImportNewFiles:     Failed to analyze / add

On another note, we really, really, really need a way to easily save the Import Log (the thing that comes up when you check the "Detailed Log" checkbox in the Import Finished dialog when you run a Check Folders Now) out to a file.

Also, a way to easily display which files failed (I currently have 36 files in my library which are failing to import that I have no easy way to find to check on) is needed.  Even using the command line find tool is useless, because the Failed to analyze/add is on a separate line from the line that shows which file failed, so running:

Code: [Select]
find /i "failed" < log.txt > failed_log.txt
Doesn't even work (it just gives you a file full of multiple copies of the useless "ImportNewFiles:     Failed to analyze / add" line).

It took me about 15 minutes of my lunch break to track down that (pretty useless) text from the 6 MB current log file, and the only way I found it that quickly was that I already knew I was looking for a file called "voice_message.wav".  Erg!  >:(
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

dcwebman

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 01:49:43 pm »

Would you mind emailing the clip to matt at jriver dot com.  I promise I won't call them back.

Sent
Jeff

dcwebman

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 01:59:01 pm »

dcwebman, my recommendation is to report on bugs in the build threads, but if you need to have a discussion of it, edit the original bug post with a link to a new thread and move discussions there.  That prevents the locking problem when the build threads close.  Also, I know I tend to review individual threads much more carefully than the replies to the build threads.  The build thread comments are usually more for JRiver's folks than us (IMHO).

Thanks for the advice glynor. I try to follow the instructions at the top of each build thread: "Please start a new thread for anything requiring discussion.  Non-bug posts will be deleted or moved." Sometimes I report what I consider a bug but don't expect discussion from it.

Unfortunately even though I log in often, I don't always get there in time before the thread is closed. Hence I'm stuck. Now if my wife didn't complain about me being on the computer at night...  ;)
Jeff

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 03:06:50 pm »

Should be fixed next build (assuming you have DirectShow filters that can decode it).

Thanks for the file.  I think it was a hang-up anyway ;D
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 01:21:23 pm »

=
Now if my wife didn't complain about me being on the computer at night...  ;)

Right there with you.  I get a "Are you talking to the dog again?!?" (referring to Matt's avatar) whenever she sees Interact up on my screen at night.   ::)  ;D

She really, really likes MC though, so it helps that she really knows what's going on a little.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up