INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mini-Z probs, gen skin probs, no MS keyboard support, & general crashes.  (Read 675 times)

markballou

Here are a bunch of things I've been dealing with regarding MJ 8.0.356:

-On the MJ homepage, I noticed the cool Mini-Z skin that looks to now come default with MJ. I didn't seem to have it, so I downloaded it and it looks to have installed just fine. Only problem is that it doesn't show the file info or track time, like it shows in all the pictures. There's just a blank space above the slider and below the words "Media Jukebox". My old default skin SonixMedia works fine, but I see that I have the same problem using the "eutow" skin. I've tried a few other skins, "Caliper" & "Shade" and they work fine. I looked all over the labyrinth of settings in MJ but couldn't find any settings I might be overlooking. Doesn't seem logical that there would be any if the other skins work, but I thought I'd look anyway.

-I've had a lot of crashes while fiddling with skins. Usually they happen when I try to delete one, or change one. I've been careful to DL only V8 skins if there is a version number available.

-I had a crash today when I tried to play a CD from my TDK VeloCD burner. The burner doesn't use an audio cable, and played fine if I opened it from within MJ, but trying to click on the Drive from My Computer to start the process caused an error message. If I did the same thing with my normal CD drive it played fine. Testing it later, everything worked OK. Go figure.

-I use a MS keyboard with a bunch of quick keys for multimedia. It doesn't work with MJ. I went to the MS site to see if it was supported.  A lot of players are, including MusicMatch Jukebox, but no MJ. The site says

Microsoft keyboard Hot Keys work with programs that use the WM_APPCOMMAND API, which is a standardized way for programs to receive Hot Key commands on Windows operating system. If a software program you use with a Microsoft keyboard is not listed above, you can contact the development company to determine if they intend to use the WM_APPCOMMAND API.
Consider yourselves contacted.

-Do I have to have other players (RA, WMP, etc.) installed in order for MJ to play their file types? The FAQs seem to point to this. If this is the case, it would be nice if MJ had that support built in and didn't need the additional software installed.

-Lastly, I like the way that Real One/Jukebox could rename all my files basing it on the properties of each track. I know I can do this with MJ, but if one of the details from the properties is missing, for the file name formatting chosen, it leaves it blank. In Real One, it defaults a blank for the word "Unknown". For file name formatting like "ARTIST - ALBUM- TRACK # - SONG TITLE.mp3", if info is unavailable in the tags, say the album name, MJ would give you something like: "ARTIST - - 01 - SONG TITLE.mp3". Real would give you, ""ARTIST - UNKNOWN - 01 - SONG TITLE.mp3". It seems that MJ could take a cue from Real on this.

Generally I really like MJ and dished out the duckets for it. It's so far been the best interface for my RIO 600 Player and burned disks to my previous crap burner when nothing else would.

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:Mini-Z probs, gen skin probs, no MS keyboard support, & general crashes.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2002, 04:03:38 pm »

Crashing problems are always hard to diagnose.  Often they are related to hardware.  Updating drivers and Windows sometimes helps.

Skins are on the lunatic fringe.  We try to modify what Windows wants to do.  If Windows is happy we win.

The CD problem could be bad luck.  Could be our bug.  Could be a driver bug.  Could be an OS bug.

> Testing it later, everything worked OK. Go figure.

Amen.

The multimedia keyboard problem could be ours.  It's possible we're not doing it right.  Others at JRiver may reply.  When Microsoft says things like that, I'm somewhat skeptical that they want to be helpful.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox
Pages: [1]   Go Up