INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UPnP: Basic Question  (Read 3018 times)

madom

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
UPnP: Basic Question
« on: November 02, 2006, 07:19:39 am »

Hi

Is MC actually streaming Music over UPnP parallel to the Playback on the PC? In other words: When I hit "Play" on my PCs Media Center, will I hear the same Music on my UDnP-Deivce connected to MC through LAN?

Hope anyone understands what I'm trying to say...

Thanks
m.

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: UPnP: Basic Question
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 09:58:52 am »

No. The UPnP box controls playback, and it is completely separate from what is playing in Media Center.

j

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 05:16:50 pm »

Would be neat if the root of the UPnP menu had another option below Playlists, etc. which said "Desktop Output" or something like that and that would start playing a song with no duration--it would be live and then MC would send a converted output from it.

madom

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 02:16:50 pm »

Ok, thanks. So this won't do for me. I'm trying to find a way to have the same sound in different rooms...

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 10:46:26 am »

look up the zone playback options.....

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 10:05:23 am »

I have another basic question. John, you said that the reciever plays back independantly. I also read on the wiki that a uPnP reciever uses the theater view interface. What would happen if the PC serving the files cant display theater mode itself.

I'm using a 4 year old sony vaio laptop to run MC at the moment, and I'm contemplating either buying a reciever, or just connecting the vaio to the tv as a second monitor. A reciever would free me up to use the pc a bit more. Although, I get some kind of perverse pleasure from imagining using a 15" sony vaio laptop purely as a remote control  :) (not even remote actually, since it would need to be connected to the tv with a composite cable).

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 10:13:18 am »

Hi Park, if I understand correctly, there's no problem. When we say "the UPnP server uses the theater view interface", we mean that what you see on the device will look almost exactly like what you would see from Theater View. Theater View is not running on the server.

j

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 10:40:48 am »

Cool. That sounds pretty clever. I forgot to mention that the reason my vaio cant display theater view is because it cant do the direct3d stuff (i guess my graphics card is too old). I assume that media recievers have newer graphics cards or something.
Pages: [1]   Go Up