INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mj vs. wmp  (Read 1167 times)

tonysnyder

mj vs. wmp
« on: September 07, 2002, 01:59:02 pm »

Mj has been one of the few programs that I have prodly payed for.  The value for the money is incredible! In the past I have found the Windows Media Player to be an absoulute mess; however version 9 borrows heavly from and MJ and is getting very close to "getting it".

I'm not ready to switch just yet.  I am currently testing MJ 9 and find that J River really takes pride in this product.  Very nice!

The thing I would change with MJ is to make the smart list a bit smarter, e.g. play time like (ugh musicmatch) and the neat rating thing the new WMP has.

I'm not some spikey head, blonde tipped, microsoft hater.  (Is there a mac MJ version?  Prolly not, it's too easy to use.  J River would have to find 10 ways to do the same thing interface wise.)  Whoops I ranted a bit there at the end.  Keep up the good work MJ but, be aware the WMP is getting real close.

Tony

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:mj vs. wmp
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2002, 02:21:20 pm »

Tony,
Thanks very much for the feedback.  I have two reactions when I hear things like this.  First, "holy ___", here THEY come" but second, I think "Wow, think where we are now -- Microsoft is following us."  

Of course I know, the second is only partially true.  Maybe you could fill us in on where you think they're stronger (and where we are).  It will help us as we work on V9.

Jim
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

tonysnyder

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2002, 04:45:54 pm »

man i need to read my posts before they go up.  there is an extra "and" in there.  I mean to say WMP9 borrows heavly from MJ and it shows but, WMP is very close to "getting it".

The new WMP actually easy to use.  I've been under the hood a bit and here's my report.  MJ9 burys WMP in almost every aspect.  I do like the rating thing WMP has and the way it can "smart list" from the same interface.  The big draw back is having to pay for mp3 encoding and mpeg2 decoding.  I don't think that is a good move.

It is clear to me MJ is the gold standard in media for the computer.  I judge programs by "that's how I would do it."  MJ in almost every respect, meets that criteria.

As I have said before the smart list needs a limit on how long a play time one would like.  (oh boy the WMP has a sweet "smart list" idea perhaps one could look to it for "inspiration".)

Before MJ came along I was a winamp guy.  After MJ i can't belive anybody still uses winamp.  How you guys found a way to improve MJ8 is a tribute to customer service.

Thans for a great product,

dave

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2002, 04:52:17 pm »

My 2 cents i that
MJ 8.0 is by far the best.  It does it all, allows you to organize your music collection ,etc. the best.  My music went from an unorganized mess to a lean library of 400 songs with genres and album covers

WinAmp- Has the best visualizations.  The skins on the new version are pretty cool as well... very close to MJ in quality.  MediaJukebox has an amazing community as I'm sure yu know Jim.  But Winamp's community is very creative and thus their product has better vizs and skins....

MusicMatch- As we all know, this program stinks.  But the "Auto DJ" feature sure is handy to use, especially for people who are looking to send a playlist to a portable device

Windows Media Player- Very easy to use.  I havent seen 9.0 yet, but it does sound cool

What I think MJ needs I agree is also a good rating scale for songs and albums ... (although do I really want to rate 4000 songs... of course I do :)

ChicoSelfs

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2002, 05:11:15 pm »

I tried that beta version of WMP and...boring!! the one thing i like is, i use Win 2000 Pro and when we single click on a music file it appears a little player on the left side and WMP modifies that player it's more nice, but all the others "greats" tolls...baaaa stick with MJ
Made in Portugal

zevele1

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2002, 03:57:38 am »

I had a look at the player.

If you compare with 7-the one you can get if you do not run XP- yes there is an hudge progres.9 starts to look as an acceptable program.

But you can rip only to windows format,there is a nauty security check lurking in 9,you cannot play DVD and many other things.

To say that 9 is much much better than 7,yes

But,if you try to compare to Media Jukebox,DBpowerAmp and -maybe- the 'new'RealOne',9 is still a very limited player.

On the top of it,there is no mega-skin,and the player does not take your windows settings,and i hate this kind of light grey-blue mix

DocLotus

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2002, 06:16:22 am »

It's a little better then WMP 8 (XP).

I still prefer MJ9... it just kicks but!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up