INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: List of MC 12 Problems/Wishes  (Read 3200 times)

datdude

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
List of MC 12 Problems/Wishes
« on: October 18, 2006, 10:37:12 pm »

Problems:

1) Library tiles unhighlight when a 'view' menu selection is made, making it impossible to drill down into multiple tiles.

2) In the search box, select preset 'limit 2 songs per artist' and then select a specific library genre tile such as rock.  Look what happens in the next screen.  ALL of the genres are still there!

3) Smartlist rule: ~limit=1,-1,[XXXXX] Does not work for semicolon delimited lists  MC unfortunately finds all songs with the exact same string in its entirety rather than singling out a unique field within the string.

4) Increase minimum space to image icon column, so it is easier to highlite list files with it, rather than having to use the often difficult 'left drag' feature.  Probably more of a Wish, but definitely an issue.

Wishes:

1) Add sorting options to each Pane column, like in Tile view.  JRiver added pane counts in build 12.0.60 I believe, but was removed.  I think sorting by file number would give the same effect without the clutter!!!

2) Give Views Schemes their own personal search box located in right hand of view header with a 'navigation' like favorites saved search feature.  Searches should also not reset browsing sessions like the main search box currently does.

3) Add 'Party Mix' like itunes feature, but make it 10X better based on user defined MC smartlist rules!  This is really a missing end user experience feature.

4) Add new smatlist rule for minimum number of files/minutes/mbs

5) Add a 'backup library' toolbar option.

6) There is a thumbnail slider for the Tile view, what about a font slider for the Pane view?
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: List of MC 12 Problems
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 10:41:16 pm »

A list of problems just sounds bad....

It's like those lists my wife leaves for me on the fridge in the morning.  Not the most effective method for behavior modification, that's for sure.

At least not until I've reduced the amount of blood in my caffeine system!   ;D
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 12:37:12 am »

A list of problems just sounds bad....

It's like those lists my wife leaves for me on the fridge in the morning.  Not the most effective method for behavior modification, that's for sure.

At least not until I've reduced the amount of blood in my caffeine system!   ;D

Let me guess, " Glynor, please pick up some decafe"?

jgreen

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 10:18:33 am »

Dude, regarding #3:

Just now I selected a group of tracks did a send to/create playlist and it worked just fine.  Similarly when you first reported it. 

Here's a wild stab:   send to/create playlist is the only one of those options that requires MC to create a new file.  Maybe MC can't create a new file on your system?  Permissions?  Anti-Virus?

What happens if you right-click on the "playlists" branch and select "Add Playlist..."?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 12:20:21 pm »

I could be wrong, but I don't think it creates a new file. MC's playlists are held inside the library in the file playlistx.jmd, so creating a new playlist would just update that existing file in the same way as any other .jmd file. MC only creates playlist files on the hard drive when you specifically ask it to by using the export tool.
FWIW, I don't see this problem either.

#2 is a there for me. Right-click>play works as expected on multiple selections, and is the route I usually tread.

I can't comment on the rest atm, not been in my bed today (more daughter problems) and contemplating getting a night's graft in after grabbing a few hours kip...

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 02:10:27 pm »

Dude, regarding #3:

Just now I selected a group of tracks did a send to/create playlist and it worked just fine.  Similarly when you first reported it. 

Here's a wild stab:   send to/create playlist is the only one of those options that requires MC to create a new file.  Maybe MC can't create a new file on your system?  Permissions?  Anti-Virus?

What happens if you right-click on the "playlists" branch and select "Add Playlist..."?

It creates a new playlist.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 06:45:15 am »

6) Go to Analyze audio, then minimize that window.  The skin does not apply here.

This "problem" is with MC since I know its Analyze window. Perhaps it's a good time to solve it  ;)

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 07:00:31 pm »

A new problem I can see is with the list icon images.  Now that the image art is not included in the first data column, but rather it own, this makes the first data column in the view scheme (for me track name) not highlightable with the mouse.  I instead have to make the image really wide in order to be able to highlight the rows rather than drag them.

I think a fix would be to make the first 'data field' the selectable column rather than the icon image?

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 11:24:39 pm »

A new problem I can see is with the list icon images.  Now that the image art is not included in the first data column, but rather it own, this makes the first data column in the view scheme (for me track name) not highlightable with the mouse.  I instead have to make the image really wide in order to be able to highlight the rows rather than drag them.

I think a fix would be to make the first 'data field' the selectable column rather than the icon image?

I'm having trouble understanding what you're saying here.  What are you unable to highlight with the mouse?  How is the track name "not highlightable"?

Thanks,

Larry

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 01:22:18 am »

Ok, how do you highlight multiple songs in a list just using the mouse?

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 03:27:07 am »

Ok, how do you highlight multiple songs in a list just using the mouse?

I don't know that you can.  Were you able to do this before?  I never noticed this -- I've always just shift-selected or ctrl-selected, or selected via the upper panes.

Larry

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2006, 04:43:22 am »

It has always been possible to select songs by starting a mouse drag below a file list.

Some time ago another option was added (in MC11.1?). You can start a mouse drag from any file in the list if you do that near the left edge of the first column.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2006, 01:34:26 pm »

I don't know that you can.  Were you able to do this before?  I never noticed this -- I've always just shift-selected or ctrl-selected, or selected via the upper panes.

Larry

You can as alex said.  Take the first column (which is now the icon rather than the icon + field) and left click your mouse not on the actual icon but rather the blank space to the left or right of it but still inside the column.

As you can see it is easy to highlight but not when the icon has its own column.  Now that column has to be rather wide and takes up lots of wasted screen space in order to be able to highlight the various tracks you want.

The solution is to either move the new icon column anywhere to the right of the first data field which looks rather odd and very distracting, or simply not allow the icon column to be the column that allows for highlighting even if its the first column.

Agree or disagree on the solution?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 01:47:38 pm »

I guess this could be a big issue if you were handicapped and only had one hand. I never really thought about it.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2006, 02:55:48 pm »

I guess this could be a big issue if you were handicapped and only had one hand. I never really thought about it.

I prefer to be doing something else with my other hand, such as TV remote or Beer holder. ;D

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2006, 04:20:14 pm »

well making software to be used by handicapped software is a issue, i think Microsoft got sued for it a few times., and then worked with a handicap organization to help make windows and some other productivity software handicap friendly.

Handicapped people also listen to music so it would make sense to make it as user friendly to them as you can without creating problems with the software for the non-handycapped.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2006, 05:03:00 pm »

The "left edge" dragging feature is useful e.g. for this:

In a list of 15 files in details view,

- drag from 2 to 5
- press Ctrl + drag from 10 to 14

=>  the files 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14 are selected.

Two hands, a keyboard, a mouse and the feature are needed for this. (Though, if the mouse has programmable buttons you can map Ctrl to a button and use the other hand for something else.)

Edit

XP's On-Screen Keybord is also an option. Just click the Ctrl key before the second drag.

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2006, 08:32:45 pm »

Alex I now see the left edge highlighting feature. Never used that before. So what would make that even better is if there was a right edge drag feature as well.

Another thing  that is annoying, is that the small image column cannot be re-sized,  Anytime you go back to that view, the image column is reset to its smallest size. ?

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2006, 10:15:41 pm »

Some time ago another option was added (in MC11.1?). You can start a mouse drag from any file in the list if you do that near the left edge of the first column.

I was able to get this to work, but you really have to aim carefully -- the area you need to click is VERY small.

Larry

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2006, 11:05:26 pm »

I was able to get this to work, but you really have to aim carefully -- the area you need to click is VERY small.

Larry

Agree!

datdude

• MC Beta Team
Re: List of MC 12 Problems/Wishes
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2006, 12:31:40 am »

Just an Update to the list above.
Pages: [1]   Go Up