INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging MP4 Files  (Read 1287 times)

kamiller42

• Junior Woodchuck
Tagging MP4 Files
« on: November 09, 2006, 01:18:01 am »

On PC 1, I am ripping CDs to M4A. The library has the proper information. When I import the file on another PC, PC 2, there is no tag information. On PC 1, I Update Tags from Library. It seems to work. No errors. When I Update Library from Tags on PC 2, there is information imported.

I currently use Gabest mp4 splitter and ffdshow. The files are encoded with Nero Digital with quality of 0.3, which takes the files into HE-AAC I believe.

What is required for tagging to work properly?

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
Re: Tagging MP4 Files
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 01:44:27 am »

I think that the tag info is only stored in the library for m4a and mp4 files at the moment. I think that this is because MC doesnt have the permissions needed to write tag info into those files.

Somebody who knows more than me will probably pitch in to give you a more complete answer.

Perhaps MC could throw up a message when you attempt to do a "Update tags from library" for file types that cant be written to. This would be useful for RAW image files and video files too.

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 09:11:40 am »

kamiller42,

FWIW, the same thing happens if your tool chain involves iTunes as the encoder. Subsequent changes to the tags with MC are never written back to the m4a files.

I'm also using ffdshow as my mp4 DirectShow filter.

Best,
Brad

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 09:54:46 am »

It'd actually be really nice to have a list from JRiver folks on exactly which file types MC supports in-file tags (and which tags are supported where severely limited).

Cos, I don't know either!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

kamiller42

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 02:45:37 pm »

Thanks guys for the answers. MC can read but not write MP4 tags. That's a little disappointing.

Hmm, I wonder if a plug-in to export library info to Nero's AacTag tool, which is free, could be developed.

kamiller42

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 04:17:48 pm »

On second thought, another option is for MC to allow specifying an external tagging program in the same fashion you specify an external encoder.
Pages: [1]   Go Up