INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Device Synch and Smartlists  (Read 1458 times)

danvm

• Junior Woodchuck
Device Synch and Smartlists
« on: November 14, 2006, 04:01:06 pm »

I have a smartlist tied to the synchronization of a CF card on my iPaq PocketPC.  I also have "Delete from handheld any files not in sync list" checked.

When the smartlist is updated and files are removed, I find that no files are removed from my sync list and, subsequently, my device.  Instead, the files are left in the sync list and Media Center keeps reporting that the device is "fully synchronized".

A bug?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Device Synch and Smartlists
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 05:03:42 pm »

Try clicking "Recheck Sync" at the top of the handheld view.  It'll rerun the smartlists.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

danvm

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 09:41:59 pm »

I've done that.  It still left even though the files no longer existed in the "smart list", they were not removed from the "sync list" and, subsequently, were not removed from the device click the "sync now" button.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 09:41:46 am »

The "delete not in sync" has a couple of safety checks.

One is that it won't erase files from a media type (audio, images, etc.) unless you have at least one file from that media type still in the sync.  This is so an audio sync would never erase an image, because this could surprise a user.

Could that explain the issue?

danvm

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 09:52:07 am »

Yes, that would explain it.  However, I don't want such a safety check.  Are there no other options or is this being reconsidered?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 10:46:24 am »

We think the safety check is valuable.  As long as you're syncing new files, it shouldn't be much of a problem.  Let us know if you strongly disagree. (and why)

For now, you can manually delete files from the handheld view. (sort by media type, select all of the type you want gone, and hit delete)

danvm

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 11:01:53 am »

The reason I don't care for it is that it could leave files on my portable device that are so large (I.E. video files) that I don't have room for more content on the device unless the safety check sees I'm trying to put another file of the same format on the device.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 12:16:55 pm »

The "delete not in sync" has a couple of safety checks.

One is that it won't erase files from a media type (audio, images, etc.) unless you have at least one file from that media type still in the sync.  This is so an audio sync would never erase an image, because this could surprise a user.

Could that explain the issue?

Please - do not remove this safety features.

Media players - with today's technology - have large hard drives that could be used for almost anything.  If I'm sync'ing music, I do not want anything else deleted other than music files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up