INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: external HD's scan when ever i reboot system???  (Read 1194 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
external HD's scan when ever i reboot system???
« on: November 09, 2006, 09:54:06 pm »

not sure what i did, but for some reason when ever i reboot my system windows xp pro(server) it starts scanning my external drive. never use to do this?? and i've also noticed since then. all my thumbs in my playlist are very sluggish\slow, when i choose a large playlist..Ex. Rock 8897 files they load but when i scroll down, none of the thumbs are there and it takes quite a while for them to load. and  if i scroll all the way down to bottom of the list then those thumbs will load then you can see those, but if i scroll up to where i have not been yet ex. letter\disc letter R, then those thumbs are not there and it takes time to load them as well.  any ideas? thanks guys!!!

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
Re: external HD's scan when ever i reboot system???
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 11:04:24 pm »

Sounds like you need to do a rebuild of thumbnails.

Options->Tree & View->Thumbnails->Build missing thumbnails.

..depending on the size of your library this can take some time, i prefer to do it overnight so its not slowing down things in the background.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 05:10:20 am »

also, while you're there, check your thumbnail exit behaviour. Mine's set to "erase orphans" and I don't have any problems with that.

If the problem persists, double check the setting at "tools > options > library and folders > options > fix broken links" if it's not already, try setting it to. "leave network files"

HTPC4ME

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 05:34:24 am »

That worked guys thanks... another question which ive been puzzled about for sometime and just dealt with.. when converting songs. why do songs have red X's through them? ive learned to backup before converting(i convert for making discs for the car etc.) and then i always have to restore library. and also what causes some thumnails that are in a folder..say 10 songs, when you put them into media center\playlist... 9 of the songs thumbnails will show up but one won't, then i have to right click a thumb from the album that has one and choose copy to clipboard. then goto thumb that didnt automatically have one and choose paste. is this normal? or am i missing something?

also I have noticed some of my songs, i repeatedly in genres have to retag them cause there genre changes on me??? so i change them back to the genre i want them categorized as, and then update library with tags, then backup library and it stays for a few weeks. and then for somereason they just revert back to the genre that they originally were not what i want them as?

again no biggie, but would like to figure it out eventually, cause this has been kinda  a pain for me from day one with media center. im sure it's a user error. and I've yet to figure out what i'm doing wrong.

thanks again guys for your help.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 05:52:39 am »

That worked guys thanks... another question which ive been puzzled about for sometime and just dealt with.. when converting songs. why do songs have red X's through them? ive learned to backup before converting(i convert for making discs for the car etc.) and then i always have to restore library.
Right click a file, choose to convert it. Before doing anything else, click on the options button, then check the settings under "Converter". You need to understand what each one means and set them accordingly. If it's not self explanatory to you, ask away. It sounds to me like you have "update database" checked. This will remove the original entry from your database and replace it with the converted file. I don't think you want it to do that. Did you know that MC's burner can do "on-the-fly" conversion for you, ideal for burning discs for the car etc..

and also what causes some thumnails that are in a folder..say 10 songs, when you put them into media center\playlist... 9 of the songs thumbnails will show up but one won't, then i have to right click a thumb from the album that has one and choose copy to clipboard. then goto thumb that didnt automatically have one and choose paste. is this normal? or am i missing something?
It's not normal. I quite often see that track # 1 does not get a thumbnail when I add art to a whole album of files, but a simple mouse-over will bring it out of hiding 99% of the time. You might need a new thread for this one, though again, recheck your thumbnail and broken link settings mentioned above.

also I have noticed some of my songs, i repeatedly in genres have to retag them cause there genre changes on me??? so i change them back to the genre i want them categorized as, and then update library with tags, then backup library and it stays for a few weeks. and then for somereason they just revert back to the genre that they originally were not what i want them as?
I think this is, again, the watched folder 'fix broken links' task. Set it to leave network files, or turn it off altogether, and see if things improve.
Also, after fixing the tags, you should do an "update tags from library" rather than an "update library from tags" to make doubly sure that the tags in the file match the tags in the library.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 06:27:51 am »

Right click a file, choose to convert it. Before doing anything else, click on the options button, then check the settings under "Converter". You need to understand what each one means and set them accordingly. If it's not self explanatory to you, ask away. It sounds to me like you have "update database" checked. This will remove the original entry from your database and replace it with the converted file. I don't think you want it to do that. Did you know that MC's burner can do "on-the-fly" conversion for you, ideal for burning discs for the car etc..

i dont have update datebase checked.. what do you mean by on the fly conversion? could you elaborate for me? sounds cool!

and your last comment in regards to update tags from library instead of update library from tags. i tried that.. let it run to 1200 files cancelled it checked it and i had 627 (media center encountered errors while tagging and moving files. check that the file exsist,are not read only and are not used by other programs.) i may have issues....huh?
Pages: [1]   Go Up