INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tree Navigation with Keyboard  (Read 1419 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Tree Navigation with Keyboard
« on: November 10, 2006, 05:57:31 pm »

5. Changed: Revised how up, down, left, and right navigate the tree to be more logical. (use space bar to toggle expansion)

This is terrible.  I can't use my remote to navigate through the tree anymore!  Why should I have the spacebar assigned to a key on my remote that wouldn't be used for anything else?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 08:17:53 pm »

This is terrible.  I can't use my remote to navigate through the tree anymore!  Why should I have the spacebar assigned to a key on my remote that wouldn't be used for anything else?

I haven't tried this version yet, but do the left/right cursor keys expand the branch?  This is how explorer works, and has always been intuitive.

Larry

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 09:14:50 pm »

I haven't tried this version yet, but do the left/right cursor keys expand the branch?  This is how explorer works, and has always been intuitive.

No.  And yes.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 01:54:37 am »

No.  And yes.

It kind of seems like a no brainer to me to make it work the way Windows Explorer works.  Not only is it intuitive, it's also already a "standard."

Larry

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 02:31:32 pm »

I agree, it's a bit better in a few instances, but overall a step backwards.

Changes I think are needed:
1) Make Enter Open/Close the Audio/Images/Video branches, since Left/Right are already being to navigate them.
2) Add an option to prevent Auto-opening branches in the tree (slows down keyboard/remote browsing, since right is easy to hit if you really want to open the branch)
3) Make Left on an open branch close it, but NOT move up a level as it currently does.  As it is now, it's impossible using the keyboard/remote to get past the Drives and Devices branch without wading through your whole directory structure!
4) Remember which of Audio/Images/Video you were in last when you press down then back up, instead of up always moving from Start to Video.
5) Whatever you do, be consistent.  It bugs me that Audio/Images/Video don't auto-open, but the rest of the tree does...

-John

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Tree Navigation with Keyboard
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 08:33:44 am »

1) Make Enter Open/Close the Audio/Images/Video branches, since Left/Right are already being to navigate them.

Enter always plays.

2) Add an option to prevent Auto-opening branches in the tree (slows down keyboard/remote browsing, since right is easy to hit if you really want to open the branch)

It's under Options > Tree & View.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 08:38:45 am »

We switched the tree to use list-style keyboard navigation at skeeterfood's request.

However, it appears that people prefer tree-style navigation so we'll likely switch it back.  That means up and down will always go to the next / previous item, even if they're to the right like with Audio, Images, & Video.  (it's too confusing if up, down, left, and right keep switching what they do depending on what tree item you're at)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 10:34:07 am »

However, it appears that people prefer tree-style navigation so we'll likely switch it back.  That means up and down will always go to the next / previous item, even if they're to the right like with Audio, Images, & Video.  (it's too confusing if up, down, left, and right keep switching what they do depending on what tree item you're at)

Thanks.  I agree that it's slightly confusing now due to the new Audio, Image, and Video "buttons" being at the top.  It's not so confusing that it's worth losing functionality though.  I also certainly agree that you can't have it switch depending on where it is...

The way it was is just better.

Pages: [1]   Go Up