INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Full screen video problems  (Read 1805 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Full screen video problems
« on: November 11, 2006, 12:04:03 am »

I can't figure out why my second and third monitors won't work when I enter full screen display mode.  When MC is on my main monitor with the start menu/task bar, it works fine.  If I move MC to my other 2nd or 3rd monitors and start a video and enter full screen, I see absolutely nothing.  The entire interface just disappears.  The only way to get MC back that I see is to click on its taskbar icon and then push Esc.  The extra monitors are running on lower end video cards if that would matter.  All connections are via DVI and the 1st/2nd monitors are 1600x1200 while the 3rd is 1200x1600.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Full screen video problems
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 03:28:28 am »

It's probably a video overlay setting on your video cards.

What kind of video card are they running on?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 05:31:50 am »

The extra monitors are running on lower end video cards if that would matter.  All connections are via DVI and the 1st/2nd monitors are 1600x1200 while the 3rd is 1200x1600.

You should be precise when describing your configuration. Take the time to carefully explain how your system is configured and what hardware you use.

Generally, I wouldn't say that a relatively new video card with a DVI connector is a lower end card for 2D playback.

Also, 1600X1200 is not a resolution that is commonly used with lower end cards for video playback. Is your source material HD video? I use 800x600 for DVD quality with my trusty passive cooled Radeon 9600.

Do you mean that your third monitor is in portrait mode (1200x1600)?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 10:10:29 am »

Generally, I wouldn't say that a relatively new video card with a DVI connector is a lower end card for 2D playback.

True enough that any video card (and really any for the past 3-5 years or so) is perfectly capable of good 2D performance... Pretty much all video cards purchased in the last year are going to have at least one (and usually two) DVI outputs though, even the lowest-end models and "integrated" chipsets are all DVI based anymore.

I wasn't worried about performance.  Just need to know if it's ATI or nVidia to tell him where to check the video settings.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 11:09:13 am »

I am worried that many posters seem to think that the others who are trying answer can use crystallomancy or some other supernatural means for determining the used HW & SW & settings combo. :)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

benn600

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 05:00:59 pm »

lol

Wanted to see if you knew of something right off hand.  Now that I know it's not obvious (which I suspected), I can elaborate.

1600x1200 is the most common resolution I can think of (width x height.  Yes, my third monitor is 1200x1600 and therefore, is the same resolution but is in portrait mode.  My main monitor which works fine is just as you said, a passively cooled Radeon 9600 (SE actually).  The other two are also ATI Radeon's, 9200 to be exact.  I bought those about 2 years after the 9600 because they were cheap and I needed two more ports.  Finding cards with 2 DVI ports was somewhat tough for me and they were expensive.  I also only have one AGP slot so I needed them to be PCI.

The video is standard divx video at around 640x480 or so.  It's strange how MC just completely disappears.

benn600

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 07:21:16 am »

You know, it's actually any full screen viewings.  If I double click the cover art display window, I lose MC's interface as well on my 2nd and 3rd monitors.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 08:37:26 am »

By design, the fullscreen borders only appear when you move your mouse to the edge of the screen.

Perhaps you should post a screenshot if this isn't what you're seeing.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

benn600

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 09:49:40 am »

I actually see that when I double click a cover art image, it moves to the main monitor.  However, when I double click video, everything just disappears.  I can't send a screenshot of my wallpaper, lol.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 10:45:59 am »

I'm pretty sure it's due to your Video setttings in the Catalyst Control Center (the ATI Video card drivers).  First of all (and this is very important), make sure your drivers are up-to-date.  Download the newest catalyst drivers from ATI (though if you use G-Force you might want to only update to version 6.5 rather than to the current 6.10 because the newer drivers break some stuff in G-Force for now).  Anyway, the newer drivers fixed some stuff related to this so make sure you have them installed.

Open up Catalyst (right click on the Desktop somewhere and choose Catalyst Control Center).

Then, when it's open, make sure you go to Advanced mode (click on the "View" button at the top left and choose Advanced View, or pick Advanced if it gives you the option).  Then, in the tree on the left choose Video --> Theater Mode.  On the right in the Graphics Adapter drop down menu (at the top) choose whichever graphics card has the second monitor attached to it.

Then under "Clone Mode" choose Same on all displays, and choose in Standard Mode under "Extended Desktop".

Then choose your other graphics adapter from the drop down and make sure the settings match for it.

Then make sure MC's Display Settings are set to:

Full Screen, Monitor: Nearest Monitor
Full Screen, Resolution: Desktop Resolution

You should be all set then, I suspect.

Pages: [1]   Go Up