INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: To J River Tech - What would it take for a MC "Watchdog" program  (Read 1940 times)

kevind

• Junior Woodchuck

Greetings,

We install high end automation systems and MC is a fundamental program for audio streaming.
However, it does occasionally crash...thereby leaving the clients with out their music until JRiver is restarted and of course me getting a call from a client saying "Hey...where is my music library?" and then I have to RDP in and restart MC.

All the automation software we install have "watchdog" programs that automatically restart their respective software if they crash...except MC

So....what would it take to have this option available if desired? This is really important as we need 24/7 uptime of MC on all our clients servers. I would imagine others would appreciate it too. To us AV installers this is really critical. I can't imagine it's too big a deal nor an unreasonable request?

I do have a few feature requests for such a "watchdog" Option
1: Watchdog is "optional" check under Options General
2: If Checked automatically restart MC if it is not running immediately
3: If MC Crashed...log it and perhaps the song it was last playing as a corrupt song may have been the reason for the crash in the first place which of course means we could delete the offending song and prevent future crashes
4: Automatically restart MC if memory useage gets above a certain threshold or CPU usage above a certain threshold in case of memory leaks

Barring the above a simple restart if not running would at least make us installers feel more comfortable.

Willing to pay for this feature. Contact me privately please to discuss

Anyone else need this kind of feature?

ThoBar

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Was confishy
Re: To J River Tech - What would it take for a MC "Watchdog" program
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 03:43:17 am »

I'd definitely like to see this type of functionality. It ties in nicely with all the other automation / client-server requests on the forums.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 04:19:06 am »

Count me in! I'd love to see this implemented too.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

Amadan

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Mine. Mine. Mine.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 10:45:00 am »

Hi,

take a look at http://www.kwakkelflap.com/watchdog.html.  I never used this tool, but according to its description it does nearly evertyhing you need  - except logging the last played song, of course, since it is a "universal" tool not specifically desigined for MC.

Bye,
Stefan

Amadan

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Mine. Mine. Mine.
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 10:53:07 am »

... and for the logging: if one of your customers MC crashes regularly, you should activate the MC logging (see the help menu of MC for "logging...")

Bye,
Stefan

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 01:17:15 pm »

I basically have set something like that up at my house.  I should look into starting a business installing MC based home media systems.  I have a lot of experience already.

kevind

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 01:42:52 pm »

Stefan

Thank you! It works!

Hi,

take a look at http://www.kwakkelflap.com/watchdog.html.  I never used this tool, but according to its description it does nearly evertyhing you need  - except logging the last played song, of course, since it is a "universal" tool not specifically desigined for MC.

Bye,
Stefan

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 05:29:11 pm »

I've got to ask thread creator: is that your full time job?  How does your work go?  I'm just curious about some of the details of your work as far as installing MC and home media systems?

We may be building a new house sometime and I have plans for in-wall touch screens (MC theater view).  We already have a 7 TB server.  Plus, obviously the theater.

We're even looking into two levels (with two steps) in the theater room.  Maybe even three levels.

We were thinking a couch in the front row with two rows of 3 chairs.  We have three VERY nice leather swivel, rock chairs and would just get three new ones plus a matching black leather couch.  Oh, and a 1080P projector would be a possibility.  Now we just have a VGA projector, but a good one--all over D-SUB or S-Video.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 05:49:29 pm »

Whats Up Gold is another program that could monitor the MC process running in memory, and if it were to crash, restart it.  Also has email notifications.
Pages: [1]   Go Up