INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rerip Procedure?  (Read 1133 times)

Quixote

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Rerip Procedure?
« on: November 13, 2006, 04:03:42 pm »

Okay, so I'm reripping all my 128kbs files to an archive format (about 200 cd's).  I've got a lot custom tags and such.  So what is the best way to rerip and apply the previous tags.  The reripped Names, Artists and Albums can be different from the current files tags, so a simple "Rename file from properties" and "Update tags (from Library)" doesn't easily apply.  So I'm open for suggestions.  Thanks for any ideas.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Rerip Procedure?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 02:18:06 am »

To get the job done, the filenames of the new files must exactly match the filenames of the old files. For re-ripped cds, that shouldn't be too hard to achieve.

The link at the end assumes that the file type is the same as the original poor quality files. If you're ripping to a different format, then before you replace the files using explorer, you must use MC to change the file extensions of the existing files. If the format is the same, skip straight to the link.

1st, and very important, make sure that Auto-Import is not watching the folders that the original files are saved in. You absolutely do not want its involvement during this job.

If you ripped the new files using MC (and why wouldn't you) select them all and remove them from the library.

Select the old files in MC, right click, library tools, find and replace.
In the dialogue that opens, click on the "Select none" button, then scroll down and place a tick beside 'Filename'
In the "Find What" field, type .mp3
In the "Replace" field, type .<new file extension>

Now the old files match the new files, and you can follow the steps outlined in the linked post.

EDIT: forgot link (thanks Alex!) http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=35907.msg244673#msg244673

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 03:51:44 am »

I can't find a link in marko's post, but it would possibly contain instructions like this:

First you could rename your old files using

[Album Artist (auto)]\[Album]  for directory   and
[Track #]  for filename

It may help if you rip using a separate library and a different base folder.
Use the same folder and name rules.

After ripping:
1. Replace the old 1.xxx, 2.xxx, 3.xxx etc files in the file folder with the new files (do this outside MC).
2. Update tags from library.
3. Update library from tags.
4. Rename the files with your preferred rule.

EDIT

Try to search for:

re-rip

@ MC11 forum. Set the message age to be 0-1000 days or so

Here's an example: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=36260. You can try to limit the search with marko's or my username. I think we both have answered similar questions a few times.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

johnnyboy

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 04:40:57 pm »

This operation happens so frequently couldn't something be build into MC exactly to handle this task to make it far more intuitive and easy?

Quixote

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 09:32:54 am »

johnnyboy,

That's totally what I was hoping for:

1) Dialog that you can select all the fields that you want to copy
2) Select a Master file.
3) Then have a drop zone for files that you would want to have the Tags copied.

Are there any plans for anything like this from J River?
Pages: [1]   Go Up