INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Praise: Web media additions  (Read 1714 times)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
Praise: Web media additions
« on: October 30, 2006, 07:54:28 pm »

Just tried You tube for the first time inside MC. Very nice. Easy to understand. Lots of options, and they are all presented to you (and without getting in your face). Even auto download of the necessary codecs. Top Job.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
Re: Praise: Web media additions
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 10:26:55 pm »

Just played with Shoutcast a bit too. It seems nice for random listening (ie. just search for a mood, or genre or label etc.), but with no way to save favourite stations it seems a bit limited.

I thought about maybe saving the homepages of the radio stations that I like in my bookmarks, but when I clicked on a radio station link, it launched IE7. I use firefox bookmarks though, so there seemed no direct and easy way to save the links.

It would also be nice if the page had some kind of history to show which links you've listened to before. Anyway, I guess this stuff doesn't really belong on this forum so I'll stop.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 03:13:49 am »

Just played with Shoutcast a bit too. It seems nice for random listening (ie. just search for a mood, or genre or label etc.), but with no way to save favourite stations it seems a bit limited.

That's always been the only weakness with Shoutcast.  It's the most comprehensive, up-to-date list of stations I've seen, but it would REALLY benefit from some method of saving favorite stations.

Larry

jkrzok

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 11:00:06 pm »

I have a playlist set to hold all of my favorite streams. With that it's a simple right-click and send to playlist. If I have to I'll them edit the "tags" to display meaningful info.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 11:10:56 pm »

I have a playlist set to hold all of my favorite streams. With that it's a simple right-click and send to playlist. If I have to I'll them edit the "tags" to display meaningful info.

I've done this before as well, but I stopped when I found that internet radio stations have an annoying tendency to disappear with no warning.  I started using Shoutcast since their station list stays up to date -- i.e. if it's no longer available, it will most likely not stay on the list very long.

Larry

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 12:06:20 am »

It would be pointless to save Pandora streams, but it would be really nice to create a Pandora Icon below the shoutcast one, that simply displays the flash based player but runs through MC.

Don't know if that would be possible?
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 09:30:03 am »

It would be pointless to save Pandora streams, but it would be really nice to create a Pandora Icon below the shoutcast one, that simply displays the flash based player but runs through MC.

Don't know if that would be possible?

For now, we're only interested in sites where we can play the audio or video through our engine. (so you gain all the playback power of MC)  Pandora goes out of their way to make this tricky.

If a few users requested it to them, they might be willing to work out a plugin with us.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 12:24:38 pm »

For now, we're only interested in sites where we can play the audio or video through our engine. (so you gain all the playback power of MC)  Pandora goes out of their way to make this tricky.

If a few users requested it to them, they might be willing to work out a plugin with us.

Well I have talked with them before about this, so I'll give it another try.  For anyone interested, their standard contact e-mail is:

pandora-support@pandora.com.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 10:23:59 pm »

Another Pandora idea would be to directly create stations based on a song or group of songs from within MC.  Rightclick  the highlited songs, click the 'Send to Pandora' option and up pops the Pandora radio station!!!

Then there is no need to use the MC engine (allthough I would prefer that) but it would be a great MC integration.  Place it under the advanced features that could be turned on or off  based on user preference.

I don't know if Pandora even has an API for this, but what would MC need from them to do this?
Pages: [1]   Go Up