INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some video files are now locking up media center?  (Read 1393 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
Some video files are now locking up media center?
« on: November 17, 2006, 03:06:20 pm »

some of my music videos are now locking up media center for some reson. i went to where the music files are located. and it's not the file types cause some mpgs are working some aren't. in media center all the video files that are locking me up, have no thumbnails in them and when you look at there tags it says they have  never been played? if i open the files in windows media player they DO work. any ideas? thank you. also i updated to newest update(todays) and they still don't work. also tried auto update\import flders and that doesnt fix them either? i've also noticed the VIDEO files that work... media center even if i close it or reboot it. it is remembering where it was last played.. never use to do this!! is this a new feature? or maybe my problem why the one's with out thumbnail images arent working?
again thanks for any help you guys can offer

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Some video files are now locking up media center?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 03:35:55 pm »

i've also noticed the VIDEO files that work... media center even if i close it or reboot it. it is remembering where it was last played..

That is a new feature, called Video Bookmarking.  It was added in 12.0.105 I believe.  It's pretty nice!   :)

As far as your problem.  Have you tried playing them with a blank library?  Have you tried fully uninstalling and reinstalling MC?  If not, I'd try those two things first, just to rule them out.  Otherwise...

MPG is a video container file format.  The video within them can be of a few different types.  You can use the program G-Spot to find out what the video type inside them is.  Take a look at this thread and download and install G-Spot (you just unzip it and run the EXE file to use it, there's no installer).

Then open a few of the video files that don't work in G-Spot and have it build the graph (circled in red in the picture in the above linked thread) and see if they're all similar.  Post the results here and we'll try to figure out what's going on.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 03:42:07 pm »

Also... Try to think about what you've done on the computer (software or hardware you installed in particular) since the last time these particular files worked (I'm assuming that they aren't all brand new).

In particular, did you install any new media or cd burning applications?  Update any of those types of programs to new versions?

HTPC4ME

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 03:51:38 pm »

glynor as usual..thanks for the speedy reply. i fixed it. but not sure what happened? maybe you can explain.. ok i have  a folder in my documents..vids. then folders in there, my music, my son etc... . i added folders to the music folder, and moved some of the files to the folders i chose with in it. in media center in video media mode button it showed the files still\but no thumbs and they would lock up media center.  also in my playlist\vids\music it would show the files but lock up media center.

now, i did run auto import and it didnt say there were any broken links, or missing files and it didnt remove them. so i assumed media center automatically found the the files in the new folder i made??!! but obviously it didn't

what  i did to fix it was delete my playlist\videos\music, and also in media mode videos\music deleted all of them then i REIMPORTED THEM AND WAAAALAAAA. THEY ALL WORK. SO IT WAS ME AGAIN USER ERROR..

i guess i just assumed media center would automatically while running autoimport, delete the files that were no longer there and add the new ones in the new folder. but it didn't.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 03:59:17 pm »

Wow.  That's really odd.  The only thing I can think of is that MC doesn't (by default) "fix broken links to files" if the files are on either a network drive or an external drive (like a USB drive or something).  This is to prevent the Auto Import (Otto) from removing all of your files if you accidentally disconnect a wire to your network or external drive!

It's also possible that you have the Fix Broken Links option disabled.  If you go to Tools --> Auto Import Options and then expand the items under the Options arrow (underneath where you have all your Auto Import folders selected), that's where the Fix Broken Links option lives.

You can set this to:

Yes = it will remove broken links even if they're on external disks or network drives (use with caution)!
Yes (leave network files) = same as above, except that broken links on network and external drives are ignored
No = broken links are not fixed at all.

Even if this is set wrong, I'm not sure why MC was locking up when you tried to play one.  Were you fairly impatient about MC "locking" and did you force it to close?  MC does sometimes freeze for 20-45 seconds if it encounters a missing file (I think it retries to play it a few times), but it should come back to life if you leave it alone for a bit.

Either way, I'm glad you got it sorted!!  Enjoy!

HTPC4ME

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 04:05:22 pm »

double checked. auto import options. and i have it set to fix broken links(leave network files. and i had no time to be impatient.lol;)  it brought up the windows error box that says mediacenter has encountered an error. and immediatelly after playing a vid that worked.. when it went to next file the popup would come up saying error. but like you said.. least i have it figured out, and if anyone else runs into same problem they know how to fix it.

thanks again for your help :)

HTPC4ME

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 03:55:47 pm »

glynor i dont understand this. today played my music files again 3rd file gunsn roses november rain. it goes to it. locks up media center of r5 seconds then i get the white windows error. mediac center has encounter an error. debug ok. and it closes?? ay other ideas? and btw my fix doesnt wokr today. i tried deleting them all from library\playlists. and reinsert them. and did a reboot of comp. and now they don't work. fix doesnt do it.

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up