INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC on Vista (x64)  (Read 1268 times)

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
MC on Vista (x64)
« on: November 17, 2006, 11:51:02 pm »

I just finished installing the release version of Vista (x64) and am happy to report that MC runs fine. The only problem is that when it starts it requires the Admin acknowledgement dialog. I'll test out Library server in a bit.

Anyone know a way around the confirmation dialog?

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
Problem with MC on Vista (x64)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 12:53:50 am »

Oops, I spoke too soon. I'm having 2 problems with MC:

1. My library is stored on a NAS via a normal Window's share. I can access it fine from Windows. When MC starts up it can't access anything in my Library. BUT, from MC if I open directly any file on the NAS' share, then it can access everything fine. This is a bit annoying because it means I can't rely on MC/Library Server to start and work automatically.

2. This isn't MC's fault, but I can't get 5.1 sound working. I have a Realtek AC'97 card. Vista recognized it and thinks it has 5.1 speakers, but the sound only comes out of the normal stereo pair.

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions on either of these?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MC on Vista (x64)
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 09:04:53 am »

Thanks for the heads up.

For now, Media Center asks for administrator priveleges on Vista.  Since Media Center runs fine with a guest account on XP, we may be able to change this in the future.  Does the release version of Vista add a way to say "Always allow administrator priveleges?" so it isn't annoying?

We're still using RC2, and we need to click OK four times to do anything -- even something as simple as copying a file.  I really hope they tone this down, because it's the "cry wolf" problem.  I'm so used to clicking OK that they could be warning me my hard drive is being formatted by a virus and I'd still mindlessly click OK.

As for the problems you're mentioning, I'm not sure on either of them.  MC uses standard file access, so if the NAS isn't working, it may be a NAS, driver, or OS thing.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 10:26:34 am »

You can get rid of all of those confirmation boxes by disabling the User Account Control.

Control Panel -> User Accounts and Family Safety -> User Accounts -> Turn User Account Control on or off

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 11:02:16 am »

You can get rid of all of those confirmation boxes by disabling the User Account Control.

Control Panel -> User Accounts and Family Safety -> User Accounts -> Turn User Account Control on or off

Thanks Doof.

I think it's silly to make a user click OK three times for something as simple as copying a file from one directory to another directory.

Account control is a good idea if it stops a hidden program from running as administrator.  However, if I say I trust a program (like regsvr32, Media Center, etc.), it shouldn't bother me or that program again.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 01:32:44 pm »

I completely agree.

I think what they're trying to do with this is to strongly discourage users from using an Admin account for their day to day operations. The things you're allowed to do as a standard user won't trigger those messages. At least that's my understanding of it.

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 02:47:39 am »

No, there's no way to mark a program as permanently approved, hence I need to approve it each time. Fortunately, since MC is so critical to me, that's only once per reboot :).

My understanding is that executables are scanned when you start them to see if they do any non-user-space calls, and, if so, need to be approved. My guess is that either the way MC access the hardware (sound card) and/or the way it prioritizes itself (so audio doesn't drop out even with other hi-pri processes running) causes this issue.

If you guys can look into it that'd be great. For now I don't mind the one-time approval.

The other issues, not being able to access my network library until I manually load something, is more annoying. Since I'm mapping the network drive as my user account, and MC should be running as my user account, I don't know why this is the case.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 10:34:50 am »

I think it's silly to make a user click OK three times for something as simple as copying a file from one directory to another directory.

Account control is a good idea if it stops a hidden program from running as administrator.  However, if I say I trust a program (like regsvr32, Media Center, etc.), it shouldn't bother me or that program again.

Absolutely.  I think OSX really has it right in this regard.  It protects you, but it's unobtrusive and it doesn't prompt you so much that you get "prompt-shock" (just click okay to whatever it is).

I haven't read any updates on this feature in Vista RTM, but I know that (though it was much improved) in the last RC, it was still widely reported as needing more work.  All-in-all it seemed like a typical Microsoft move...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up