INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Standalone iPod Updater  (Read 3387 times)

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
Standalone iPod Updater
« on: October 06, 2006, 08:53:40 pm »

Anyone have any updated information regarding a standalone updater for the iPod?

Is there going to be a seperate updater (like they used to have) or will it require the full iTunes setup?

sixrivers

• Recent member
Re: Standalone iPod Updater
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 11:10:05 am »

I searched for the same thing without success.  Ended up loading iTunes just to check my updates.   >:(

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 11:14:38 am »

I checked if my iPod was current again over this past weekend. 

1) iTunes was updated, so I had to download & install the latest version.
2) iTunes had to build the library from my iPod.

All of this took about 1 hour - the iPod was current.  A waste of time.

I know what they are doing - they do not want you to uninstall iTunes.  They make their profit from the downloads, not from the hardware.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 06:34:49 am »

any news on this front?

dcwebman

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 07:51:50 am »

The other night when I was letting my machine run a batch job, I came back to check on it and noticed this Apple Updater message wanting to know if I wanted to update. I didn't really bother reading it because I didn't want to affect the batch job so I cancelled. Was this because iTunes was updated or something else?
Jeff

dpippel

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 07:29:55 pm »

I'd also like to know if anyone comes across information as to a stand-alone updater. Being required to have a complete installation of iTunes to get firmware for your iPod is just plain ridiculous if you're not using it for anything else. It's bloatware. I don't need two or three extra Windows services running on my machine all of the time Apple, thank you very much. And people complain about Microsoft. :D

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 08:25:50 pm »

I'd also like to know if anyone comes across information as to a stand-alone updater. Being required to have a complete installation of iTunes to get firmware for your iPod is just plain ridiculous if you're not using it for anything else. It's bloatware. I don't need two or three extra Windows services running on my machine all of the time Apple, thank you very much. And people complain about Microsoft. :D

I agree, but I don't expect Apple to change.  They want people to have iTunes so they can sell them music downloads.

If this gets resolved, fine, but in the interim I will keep iTunes installed.  But I turn off all of the Apple startup services.

dpippel

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 09:33:01 pm »

I agree, but I don't expect Apple to change.  They want people to have iTunes so they can sell them music downloads.

If this gets resolved, fine, but in the interim I will keep iTunes installed.  But I turn off all of the Apple startup services.

I've got an even better solution (for me). There's nothing wrong with my 3oGB 5G or my Shuffle as they are now, so I'm just going to abstain from any further firmware updates on either of them. No need for iTunes to be installed on my machine at all in that scenario. I like it! ;D

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 10:34:23 pm »

I've got an even better solution (for me). There's nothing wrong with my 3oGB 5G or my Shuffle as they are now, so I'm just going to abstain from any further firmware updates on either of them. No need for iTunes to be installed on my machine at all in that scenario. I like it! ;D

That's another approach.  Simple solutions for simple problems. 8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up