INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shorten (.shn) Plug-in?  (Read 1854 times)

Marc

• World Citizen
  • Filthy Monkey
Shorten (.shn) Plug-in?
« on: November 20, 2006, 09:19:06 am »

I've been downloading a few recordings of live concerts lately.  Most have been in FLAC format which work fine.  However, the one I downloaded today is in Shorten (.shn) format.  I tried to install the shorten plug-in listed elsewhere on this site, but MC12 reports it needs version 2. (versus the version 1. that I found here).  Any ideas on where to find a shorten plug-in that is compatible with MC12?   ?

Oh yeah, I tried searching the forums.  No post addressed this (that I could find).

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.
THAT's what I'm talking about.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Shorten (.shn) Plug-in?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 10:32:03 am »

Unfortunately, I haven't seen an updated plugin for SHN files.  The person who created the old one doesn't come around much anymore (at least I don't think so).   :-\

That's a really good point.  I do find shn files every so often on lossless legs and etree.org.  Anyone have a good, simple way to convert them to FLAC or APE?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 10:32:26 am »

As glynor said, no one has made a Shorten plugin for MC12 yet. Actually, I think you are the first one who has requested Shorten support. 

I have always converted my arhive.org downloads losslessly to Monkey's Audio. It compresses quite a bit more than Shorten and naturally it is fully compatible with MC.

Monkey's Audio v. 3.99 can easily convert Shorten files to APE. If you prefer FLAC you can first decompress the files to wave with Monkey's Audio and then compress to FLAC with MC. It is an extra step, but the total conversion time is about the same.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Marc

• World Citizen
  • Filthy Monkey
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 11:33:34 am »

Monkey's Audio v. 3.99 can easily convert Shorten files to APE. If you prefer FLAC you can first decompress the files to wave with Monkey's Audio and then compress to FLAC with MC. It is an extra step, but the total conversion time is about the same.
You know, just when I forget all about Monkey's Audio (as a stand-alone program), it comes through and saves the day.  I converted the .shn files to .wav, then re-converted them to .ape - it worked flawlessly.

Thanks for the suggestion guys!

Marc
THAT's what I'm talking about.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 12:49:38 pm »

Thanks Alex!  I, too, forgot about Matt's standalone.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

MadJewDisaster

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 12:55:44 pm »

There is also a small prog allowing you to check MD5 and convert to WAV

But , no way , the best solution is to have a MC pluging allowing you to do all in MC

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 04:31:35 pm »

I converted the .shn files to .wav, then re-converted them to .ape - it worked flawlessly.

Actually, MA v.3.99 can convert shn files directly to ape. The wav step is unnecessary.

However, Matt seem to have dropped most of the additional formats including Shorten from the 4.0x beta GUI.

Matt, you may want to reconsider this next time you revisit Monkey's Audio development.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up