INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Before I give up on MJ and . . .  (Read 1777 times)

Ken Brookings

Before I give up on MJ and . . .
« on: September 06, 2002, 07:27:22 am »

I'm fairly new to MJ so all may be operator error . . but I find it very unstable.  I've had a host of database problems but found work arounds.  Now I have some sudden fatal errors, after making no settings changes. Things worked - no they don't!  I like a lot about MJ but I need to get this working now.

Biggest problem: Suddenly can't burn audio CDs.  Worked fine for a CD or two no crashes. Gets thru about burning about a file and a half from a play list then says it has an error and has to shut down, sends an error report and that's it.

Other problems.  Whenever I try to rename a file catagory a message pops (afer an unbearably long delay) up saying "failed to update the tag info for edited file . . "  This happens with all files, which are all WMA.  Tags are enabled, files are not in use and files are not read only.

Very often when I load a new file to my hard disk thru MJ I get a "Play back Engine: media jukebox unable to acquire license . . Windows Media Error 0x80070020.

Help please. I'd love to settle in on MJ as my media tool, but its sure giving me a fight.

Ken Brookings

RE:Before I give up on MJ and . . .
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2002, 07:30:41 am »

Sorry, system info is:
Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.356
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2240 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 345 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1  (Build 2600)

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000
ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
wnaspi32.dll: N/A

Running on a new Dell with XP Professional.  Have tried every combo (I think) of ASPI and generic driver settings.

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2002, 07:57:20 am »

This message:
> media jukebox unable to acquire license . .

means that MJ is trying to get a license and the site may be closed.

These kinds of problems happen when playing files on one PC that were encoded on another PC in WMP with "personal security" on.

The other issues you mention are hard to say.  Stability can be lots of things, often hardware related.

Are all the stability problems related to WMA?
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Ken Brookings

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2002, 08:05:41 am »

Maybe stability is the wrong word.  I've just spent a week trying to get database info straightened out and get things working right.  A series of small problems that I can ignore or work around.  Then this morning, for no apparent reason I can't edit file names or burn a cd. The burning is obviously the killer problem.  I'm not experienced with MJ but a very experienced computer user - seems I should be able to get and keep this thing working.  How do I troubleshoot the burning issue?  You should have a series of error reports there as I tried over and over to get this thing to burn today.

JimH

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2002, 08:08:57 am »

There is a FAQ here on burning.

Maybe if you provide more specifics on what isn't working with editing it would help.  What kinds of files, for example.  Step by step, what are you doing?
Jim Hillegass

Ken Brookings

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2002, 08:59:32 am »

I go to Music Library, I right-click on a file name (or album or artist or whatever.  I select Rename.  I make the change.  Then whenver I go to another file or any other action the "failed to update . . " message appears.

JimH

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2002, 09:13:31 am »

What type of file?  MP3, WMA?  Did you encode them?
Jim Hillegass

Ken Brookings

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2002, 09:18:47 am »

All WMA files brought copied to my hard disk using Windows Media Player.  Note; This is something new that started.  I edited lots of files in MJ without this happening.  Now it happens with every one.
Jim, thanks for you help on this.

JimH

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2002, 09:58:09 am »

You're welcome.

Did you check that your personal security setting is off?

How are you copying them to disk?  Where do they come from?

Are you encoding with WMP?

Did the encoding program change?
Jim Hillegass

Ken Brookings

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2002, 10:26:25 am »

I'm sorry Jim, I don't understand a lot of this.
I ripped CD's from my stereo thru my sound card to my hard disk using WMP.  I built a library of about 1300 files that way.  When I started using MJ I imported and the files were set up just fine.
Then I must have screwed something up and the files were all jumbled.  I played with it enough to get the Artist and Album appearing correctly but the Name's look like this:

00 - Bone Burnett 01 Over You The Criminal Under My Own Hat

I couldn't figure out how to make the song names appear correctly and I guess I couldn't figure out how to ask the question right on Interact. Its probably worth noting that I downloaded WMP 9 somewhere during all of this and that if I rip a new CD thru MJ it appears correctly. So I started manually renaming the songs.  I did a couple hundred (actually, I paid my daughter to do it).  She (or I changed no file or tree settings after that).  Suddenly the "Failed to update the tag" messages started appearing. We can still get the names changed but it takes inordinately long to do it working through the tag memo popping up.
A day later the inability to burn CDs started.  The inability to burn is the greater problem for me, obviously.

Fastyves

• World Citizen
  • Let me think about it !
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2002, 02:11:23 pm »

Hi Ken,

Try to upgrade to latest version of MJ.

Regarding you burning problem, did you tried the different combinations in > OPtions > CD Writer Settings > CD Writer -->

Use Generic Drivers : Checked / Unchecked
Use Internal ASPI Layer : Checked / Unchecked

What you also could do is download and install the latest version
of Adaptec ASPI Layer (you'll find it HERE)

Yves.

Ken Brookings

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2002, 04:30:22 pm »

Thanks Yves.
Jim, Yves; I've learned this much about the burning problem; its linked to the sudden appearance of the "Play back Engine: media jukebox unable to acquire license . . Windows Media Error 0x80070020." message linked to about 10% of my library files (all WMA).  These files have been on my hard disk for months and I have opened them many times.

Now when I open them to play them, or the burning processes reaches them in the burn list it locks up the computer and says MJ has a problem and has to shut down (also locks up my computer at this point).  I have found I can remove that file and encode it again using MJ and everything works fine.

JimH

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2002, 05:51:08 pm »

Some other program may have them open.
Jim Hillegass

Ken Brookings

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2002, 07:35:46 pm »

So how do I fix that?