INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MPEG4 files in media server won't play  (Read 1453 times)

vidiot66

MPEG4 files in media server won't play
« on: November 22, 2006, 01:18:52 am »

I have been using MJ8 for several years and have just loaed the trial version of MS11 and am impressed by the added features. I have a DLink DSM320 which plays out my Nero-encoded MP4 videos without problem under the DLink or TVersity servers.

Problem is if I select a video file using the MS server, I get an error message stating the file is an unsupported format and a suggestion to use Nero to encode. Which of course, is what these file are.

I've also noticed that I can't play these files inside the MS app either, but both Windows Media Player and Nero Showtime have no problem with these files.

What am I missing? I've installed the CCCP DirectShow filters, uninstalled and reinstalled QuickTime, which seems to want to try to play these MPEG4 files inside MS with no success.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: MPEG4 files in media server won't play
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 10:11:29 am »

Tools -> Options ... -> Playback -> DirectShow Playback Settings...

Check "Try using DirectShow for playback of mp4 media"

With this checked, MC will try playing the video in DirectShow, probably using filters installed from CCCP pack.

If the check box is not checked, MC plays mp4 in Quicktime engine. It works on most videos. Nero encoded mp4 may be a problem in Quicktime.

Playing from Media Server is another issue. Most DirectShow filters have trouble handling http files from the server. You may end up playing in Quicktime anyway. But the filename coming from the server could be very long, Quicktime can not handle long files names.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

vidiot66

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 11:12:11 am »

Thanks for the quick response. I've tried that, and get a message "error downloading codec".

Insurgent reports that I have a number of MPEG4 codecs installed. I wonder if it's just not selecting the appropriate one. Any way to tell which one MC will use?

ffdshow
Microsoft
Ligos
Nero
ULead

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 12:45:38 pm »

Thanks for the quick response. I've tried that, and get a message "error downloading codec".

Insurgent reports that I have a number of MPEG4 codecs installed. I wonder if it's just not selecting the appropriate one. Any way to tell which one MC will use?

ffdshow
Microsoft
Ligos
Nero
ULead

MC11 does not allow you to select which filter to use (MC12 does).

To see which filters are used by MC11, turn on logging for Playback Log Type. The log file should contain entries like these:

Code: [Select]
0027688: Playback: DumpGraph: DumpGraph [5971b20]
0027688: Playback: DumpGraph:     Filter [5893774]  'Default DirectSound Device'
0027688: Playback: DumpGraph:           Pin [58974ec]  'Audio Input pin (rendered)' [Input]  Connected to pin [58b6a94]
0027688: Playback: DumpGraph:     Filter [922091c]  'Video Renderer'
0027688: Playback: DumpGraph:           Pin [5893b74]  'VMR Input0' [Input]  Connected to pin [938a614]
0027688: Playback: DumpGraph:     Filter [590ff1c]  'ffdshow Audio Decoder'
0027688: Playback: DumpGraph:           Pin [58b6a94]  'Out' [Output]  Connected to pin [58974ec]
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up