INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Syncing over net?  (Read 1914 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Syncing over net?
« on: November 02, 2006, 05:18:29 pm »

Is there a way I can access my server's shared drive over the internet securely?  I've used Hamachi before but dislike it--at least I do since I last tried it.  I am wondering if there is another solution?  I want a way to be able to access my network folder as if it was local so I can synchronize my documents, profiles, etc., without requiring a flash drive as a middle man. 

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
Re: Syncing over net?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 01:07:22 am »

you need to learn how to set up a vpn.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 10:19:19 pm »

I was just article on lifehacker that explains setting up an ssh server on your home pc pretty simply. The bit that I dont get, is once you've made your secure connection, how would you then map that connection as a network drive so that it could be treated like a local drive?

If there were some way to do that, then I'd love to try setting up MC at work to access my home library remotely. This would be way better than library server, since I'd be able to make tag changes.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 09:14:04 am »

It could be very slow because I'm guessing MC has some optimized functions to access your library.  Perhaps they could add more features to the library server.  It's easy to get impatient for new features but they take time.  Too bad we couldn't make a nice list of features we want and then time warp 6 months into the future but stay at this point in OUR lives...then we'd have a better MC with some of what we want!
Pages: [1]   Go Up