INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replay Gain - Do you have to Adjust Each Song?  (Read 689 times)

Rusty

Replay Gain - Do you have to Adjust Each Song?
« on: September 06, 2002, 12:20:45 am »

Greetings - When analysing Replay Gain you see figures in two columns e.g. the Replay Gain & the Peak Level columns.  I'm now preparing to burn a compilation CD & I have Replay Gain figures from -14.43 to -5.91 & Peak Level figures from 1.000 to .356 so it's all over the place.

What should be the object here ... Are you aiming to get the Peak Level figures all the same for each track or is it best to get all your Replay Gain figures to the same figure for each track?

I have been told to use the global setting of |PLS|6.00 but if your initial Replay Gain figures are all over the place, adding |PLS|6.00 to all is not going to level this out etc, it's only adding |PLS|6.00 to a bunch of wildly varying figures. Obviously I'm still confused about all this.

I did a global Replay Gain analysis of a Compilation Playlist & then set a |PLS|6.00 global Replay Gain figure & burnt the CD, but if I now try to import any of those burnt tracks back into MJ they all sound a lot softer & both their Replay Gain & Peak Level figures are all down???

Can anyone advise??? --- Thanks Rusty.

Rusty

RE:Replay Gain - Do you have to Adjust Each Song?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2002, 12:42:23 am »

Further to above ... Or should I be adjusting the Replay Gain figures for each track prior to burning to get the Peak Level (while playing) as close to 100% as possible without over flowing the flat line then using the Disc Writer option to capture each adjusted track as a .wav which is then ready to burn?  If this is a possibility what should I have the OVERFLOW HANDLING set to ... a) "CLIP PROTECTION' or b) 'NONE-OVERFLOWS FLAT LINE" ?

Cheers Rusty.

sekim

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2002, 12:49:51 am »

RemyJ

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2002, 09:06:22 am »

The "Replay Gain" figures you're seeing (actually, I think it's "Radio Gain") are the ADJUSTMENT values calculated by the analyzation process.  When Replay Gain is enabled in the DSP, MJ uses those values to adjust the volume for the track when it's played.  The louder the original track, the "more negative" the adjustment should have been.  The quieter the original track, the "less negative" the adjustment.  Theoretically, this should make all tracks sound about the same when played.  A side effect of this is that ALL tracks will sound quieter than their respective originals.  The global adjustment gives you the ability to shift ALL of them closer to 0db gain.

I'd leave clip protection and the other equalizer settings OFF to minimize the overall impacts on the original music.  Given that you have at least 1 track that has a -5.91 adjustment, I'd also make the global adjustment a |PLS|5db instead of a |PLS|6 so it doesn't go above 0.

If you used the diskwriter process to burn the CD, then played (or imported) the CD in MJ, those tracks should sound the same with replay gain OFF in the DSP as the original tracks with replay gain ON in the DSP.  You didn't try to re-analyze the imported CD tracks did you?
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce
Pages: [1]   Go Up