INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No Ipod in MC12  (Read 1432 times)

Robin731

• Recent member
No Ipod in MC12
« on: November 30, 2006, 05:51:19 pm »

I have a USB 60GB iPod Photo (listed in the "Please help us identify iPods" post) that has always worked fine with MC11.  I installed MC 12.0.121 yesterday and it doesn't recognize the iPod at all.  The iPod still works with my MC11 installation, it's showing up in Windows Explorer as a drive, but MC12 doesn't recognize it.  I've tried doing the Tools/Options/Handheld/Redetect All Devices command several times, all to no avail.  If I do an Add Device, the iPod shows up as a disk drive in the  browser, so MC12 is aware of it at some level.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: No Ipod in MC12
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 08:51:59 pm »

Is the iPod's firmware up to date?  The only thing I can think of is that MC12 requires a newer firmware than your iPod currently has, which could explain why MC11 does not have a problem with it.  I would suggest updating the iPod to the latest firmware (or just "restoring" it if it's already using the latest firmware) and seeing if MC can recognize it at that point.

Larry

Robin731

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 11:46:24 pm »

That was a good thought, and it turns out my iPod was running 1.2 firmware so I had  iTunes upgrade it to 1.2.1.  But nothing has changed; MC11 can still recognize it, but MC12 completely ignores it.

Could there be some interaction between my MC11 and my MC12 installations that's causing this?  Or any other ideas???

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 01:51:36 am »

That was a good thought, and it turns out my iPod was running 1.2 firmware so I had  iTunes upgrade it to 1.2.1.  But nothing has changed; MC11 can still recognize it, but MC12 completely ignores it.

Could there be some interaction between my MC11 and my MC12 installations that's causing this?  Or any other ideas???

Sorry the update didn't take care of it.

As far as MC11 interfering with MC12's ability to see the iPod, all I can say is that it seems like this "shouldn't" be an issue -- the two programs should be independent of each other.  That said, it's an interesting theory, and it might be worth a try to uninstall BOTH versions of MC, then just reinstall MC12.  Something is amiss, and it could be a problem with the installation somewhere, which can happen from time to time.

Also, did you try uninstalling and re-installing MC12?  I've never had any issues with MC12 recognizing iPods, but I have a 3G, a 4G click wheel, and a 5G video, none of which is the iPod Photo, so if there was an issue with the iPod "Photo" model, I wouldn't know about it.

Does the iPod show up in MC's "Drives and Devices" branch?  If so, can you initialize it there?

Larry

SwellGuy

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 10:37:17 am »

Can you turn on handheld logging (only) to a file from the help menu, restart MC, wait a while for it to locate devices and go back to the logging screen and email me the logs (rick at jriver dot com).

Also, can you send me your system info.

Thanks,
Rick

Robin731

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 08:23:34 pm »

Also, did you try uninstalling and re-installing MC12?  I've never had any issues with MC12 recognizing iPods, but I have a 3G, a 4G click wheel, and a 5G video, none of which is the iPod Photo, so if there was an issue with the iPod "Photo" model, I wouldn't know about it.

Does the iPod show up in MC's "Drives and Devices" branch?  If so, can you initialize it there?

Larry

I just tried un- and re-installing MC12, to no avail.  (At the moment I hesitate to uninstall MC11, since that's currently my only link to my iPod and I'd cry if something went wrong and I couldn't reinstall it.)

And the iPod doesn't show up as an entry in the "Drives and Devices" branch per se, although if I open the "My Computer" node I see it appearing as a disk drive along with all the others.  But that manifestation of it doesn't seem to have any iPodness; it just behaves like any other disk drive.

I've sent a log to Rick, so maybe that will help some.
Pages: [1]   Go Up