INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FLAC Quality Settings  (Read 1148 times)

JorgeGVB

• World Citizen
FLAC Quality Settings
« on: December 08, 2006, 01:44:04 pm »

I noticed in the encoding options you can select a value between 1 and 8 for the quality setting for ripping FLAC files.  I did a test ripping one song on 1 and again on 8.  The file size is nearly the same with one being 31.1 MB and the other 31.0 MB.  I take it there isn't much difference between the settings or am I missing something?  What quality setting are you using?

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: FLAC Quality Settings
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 02:35:13 pm »

The default setting for FLAC in scthom's plugin is "6", which is what I use.  I have plenty of older FLACs at "5", and it all seems the same.  scthom felt that "7" and "8" pay a big penalty in encoding speed and somewhat more CPU load on playback, so he set it to 6.

It really fries me that this setting in FLAC is called "quality", a term which is guaranteed to yank the chain of those of us insistent on "lossless", for which there is only one quality setting, "lossless".  This is something to hammer the boys over at sourceforge about, IMO.  MC uses the terminology provided by FLAC. 

However, no matter what "quality" you select, FLAC is still 100% lossless.

scthom

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: FLAC Quality Settings
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 07:36:50 am »

Yeah, I just used the default setting that the reference flac encoder uses.  I tried a few variations and the only real difference is how long it takes.  5 and 6 are basically the same time, but 6 will give you slightly better file size, so why not use it?  Feel free to use whatever you think is sufficient because as jgreen noted, they're all lossless.
Pages: [1]   Go Up