INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple Artist albums, I just don't get it...  (Read 1029 times)

BigDogues

• Recent member
Multiple Artist albums, I just don't get it...
« on: December 07, 2006, 10:37:40 pm »

I am at my wits end. All I am trying to do is rip my albums so they show up in the album thumbnail view correctly. But it seems no matter what I do they end up slpit up all over the place by individual artist. I guess I just don't understand. What's even worse is trying to sort them out after they're already ripped. If there is way I wish someone cold explain it to me in terms even a simpleton like me would understand. Why is this sooo difficult. Do I have to delete all my multiple artist albums and rip them all over again?
One album, 14 songs, what a nightmare!  :(

Robert Taylor

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living in a Smokeless Zone...
Re: Multiple Artist albums, I just don't get it...
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 12:57:30 am »

Everyone has their own take on this...here's mine...

If I have a "multiple artist" album (I call them a compilation album), then i set the field ALBUM ARTIST for all tracks on the album to be "Various Artists".

I set each track's individual artist field to be the actual artist who recorded the track.

If I then use Rename Files From Properties etc. and use the field "ALBUM ARTIST (AUTO)" in any formulas etc., MC takes the ARTIST field if the album is all by the same artist, or "Various Artists" if the ALBUM ARTIST field is set.

That way, all my compilation albums end up like this

M:\00.MP3s\Various Artists\1973-Greatest Hits of the 60's

etc.

but I still get to see who the tracks were actually by.

Hope this helps...

Lemme know if I need to explain further...
Cheers
Rob

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 02:11:33 am »

Everyone has their own take on this...here's mine...

and here's mine:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=37362.msg254962#msg254962

and from Doof:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=33255.msg227823#msg227823

You don't need to re-rip. Just gather the album tracks together in MC and set the [album artist] field to (Multiple Artists) then use the rename files from properties tool to move all the files into a single directory.

-marko.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 07:13:32 am »

I am at my wits end. All I am trying to do is rip my albums so they show up in the album thumbnail view correctly. But it seems no matter what I do they end up slpit up all over the place by individual artist. I guess I just don't understand. What's even worse is trying to sort them out after they're already ripped. If there is way I wish someone cold explain it to me in terms even a simpleton like me would understand. Why is this sooo difficult. Do I have to delete all my multiple artist albums and rip them all over again?
One album, 14 songs, what a nightmare!  :(

The simplest solution is rather than use the Artist field for your View Schemes, use Album Artist (auto). MC will take care of the rest.
Pages: [1]   Go Up