INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bug: MC12 imports thumbs.db  (Read 1229 times)

Marty3d

• Citizen of the Universe
Bug: MC12 imports thumbs.db
« on: December 14, 2006, 06:32:21 am »

As the title says... this is a system file which really don't belong in MC :)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Bug: MC12 imports thumbs.db
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 08:54:06 am »

I can't find the ".db" extension in the advanced import options. Are you dragging these files to MC or how do you get them imported?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Marty3d

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 09:59:29 am »

I right-click a folder (usually a music album) in Windows explorer > Media Center > Import.

If you don't know about these thumbs.db, Windows create these to cache the folder.jpg file.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 10:18:06 am »

In general, I like the fact that I can manually import even unknown filetypes to MC so that I can use MC's database for cataloging them.

Though, perhaps these thumbs.db files should be excluded. Does MC import them even if you have not configured Windows Explorer to show hidden files?

Personally, I use Windows Explorer always in the details view mode so it does not create thumbs.db files at all.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Marty3d

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 10:25:37 am »

I also use detailed view in explorer except for my albums and movies, it looks nicer with thumbnail view ;)

Since users use MC in a lot of different ways (like me, I never use the documents part), perhaps an exclude/include system should be implemented. See programs like Copernic Desktop Search. But as a general rule, system files like *.ini, *.db, *.dll etc shouldn't be imported at all.

I haven't tested if MC behaves differently if sysfiles are hidden/not hidden.

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 10:27:13 am »

I also had this problem. Yes, it was strange that MC12 imported those files, I think it shouldn't.
But there is an easy way out. In Windows Explorer there is an option not to store thumbnails on thumbs.db, but create them on the fly every time (don't know the English wording, as I use a German WXP version). It's a little bit slower, as they are not stored any longer in thumbs.db, but if you do not need it too often, it's ok.

Marty3d

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 10:29:44 am »

I actually believe that Otto does exclude those files they seem to import only on manual import, but I'm not sure.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 10:52:41 am »

I am pretty sure that Auto-Import (manually or automatically started) imports only the configured file types.

When you right-click import you are asking MC to import the complete selection. It is debatable if MC should automatically exclude some of the included files. For example, I don't know if the extension .db is used by any standard application program for storing data.
Pages: [1]   Go Up