INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ...oops! Excuse me MJ, Flash not installed  (Read 1828 times)

MrCC

...oops! Excuse me MJ, Flash not installed
« on: September 04, 2002, 05:41:54 am »

Just a constructive observation.
Not sure if you aware that systems that do not have flash installed apparently do an illegal operation and close back to the desktop when the MJ version is checked.  You know, Help, About MJ.
I tried this last night on an old PC with Win98, it did just that.  As I was getting the latest demo, I was asked if I wanted to install Flash, but said no.  Many people do not always say yes to every pop-up box, particularly with spyware etc around.

Anyway, this seems to happen at least from v8.0.327 to the current version.
When I installed flash, it was quite happy.  You might want to update your web download page to reflect this, it does not say flash is mandatory.
It would be a shame if a first time user trying out the demo software had it doing illegal operations for no apparent reason.

It's a great Jukebox program, better by far than MusicMatch or RJ Plus8.  You are doing some great things with it.

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:...oops! Excuse me MJ, Flash not installed
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2002, 06:38:01 am »

It's a very good point.  Thanks.  We'll try to defend against the problem.

Flash is a tough one.  It's a little like the issue of how many browsers to support.  Is IE not the standard now?  Should it be our problem to support all browsers or should it be the browser developers' problem to adhere to the "standard" that IE has created?

Is Flash standard equipment now?  Is Acrobat?  I would say yes.  Most people have both and use IE.

But we should be able to add a check for Flash before the About page.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Trelane

• World Citizen
  • Destroy him, my robots.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2002, 07:02:14 am »

I wouldn't call Flash standard equipment. Many people despise it (myself included). It is one of those good idea/bad idea things. At first, it was cute and could aid in web design. Now, however, it's rarely used for that purpose.

It's nearly impossible to browse the web without being attacked by a screen full of clucking turkeys, or the deafening sound of a horribly clipped race car. In case you're wondering, I'm referring the the latest Flash advertisement blitzkrieg...

That's why a lot of people don't install Flash. Advertisements are fine and dandy. But when they are deafen the viewer (think Replay Gain and clipping prevention...), hinder the ability to use the page, or are otherwise overbearing and annoying... well, that's where most people draw the line.

Back to the point: why not display a simple about dialog box if Flash isn't installed?

Mike
Listening to: 'Cleanser (Egamorph Mix)' from 'Razing Eden' by 'LUXT' on Media Jukebox

MrCC

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2002, 08:59:45 am »

I meant to mention before, when the About page appears (as it does), it is just blank.  So the next step of course is to close it, then ... desktop here we come.

zevele1

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2002, 09:12:41 am »

There is sites who are built only with Flash.

You get they F.. sounds,every click open a new window that you cannot put on large,you cannot save pictures and so on.

There is away to see this sites without Flash?

Since long i want to ask about it here.

I surf a lot of sites about music,Flash is the last craze for punko\metalo\ people

phelt

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2002, 11:26:59 am »

>>Should it be our problem to support all browsers or should it be the browser developers' problem to adhere to the "standard" that IE has created?
Maybe it should be up to Microsoft to adhere to and properly implement existing standards instead of the rest of the world adopting their flaws and proprietary methods. Since they are unwilling to do so, it means some extra work to achieve cross-browser compatibility. I'm not advocating support for NS 4.x or any other browsers older than 2 point releases.  

>>Is Flash standard equipment now? Is Acrobat? I would say yes. Most people have both and use IE.
The better questions might be "Do we need to use technology X? Is it not possible or is it too difficult to deliver the same materials in other formats?" Flash I can partially understand - lightweight and feature-full, though the example given is not exactly a functional necessity for MJ. The PDF question I don't understand at all - unless you need to print something to exacting specs it's just bloat.

zevele1

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2002, 03:34:58 pm »

When each jukebox you sell is important,you may be better to check the main fonctions-buy,pluging,download manager- to work with Netscape and Opera.

I would have not buy MJ 7 at the time if i had to use IE.
IE was not on my computer.The same i never used any programs who launch IE to get updates.
Do not want to avocate for Netscape that i do not use anymore.You do not need Microsoft to kill you when you sleep with aol....aol knows very well how to do it.
But,in my opinion,you need all sections of MJ and JRiver.com to work with Opera
Do not answer me that if working with Opera it works with Netscape.Not sure,do not forget..netscape-aol.

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2002, 03:45:18 pm »

zevele,
> When each jukebox you sell is important,you may be better to check the main fonctions-buy,pluging,download manager- to work with Netscape and Opera.

This is like the Mac vs Windows problem for us.  We have to aim at the mainstream and wait for other vendors to also be there.  We can't check every page against 3 versions of 3 browsers.

I know you won't agree, but I believe that the problem is Opera's.

Have a nice holiday and Happy New Year!
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

zevele1

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2002, 11:29:08 pm »

JimH

Since few months i am a Yahho! Internet Explorer 6 user.
I did calm down concerning browsers.

When i tested all broswers during 8 beta,Opera was ok with MJ and interact.More than Netscape.

I said Opera because i do think that in no time it would be number 2 browser,after IE.

Anyway,you may have an easy way:just to state on buy,plugings pages that this operations require IE 5 and |PLS|

Cotton-Eyed Loo

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2002, 11:58:14 am »

My 2c.

I was a macromedia user for a long time. I do not like them. They do not have the same kind of customer focus JRiver has - nothing like it.

I consider macromedia to be closer to the real-media / microsoft end of the spectrum than the JRiver / Apple end in terms of their consideration and respect for end users.

I surf this site with a broken bit at the top because I refuse to install their plug-ins on principle.

I can certainly appreciate the power flash puts in the hands of less computer-tech sophisicated users [non-programmers] and the $$ that can be saved in development - especially web site development - by adopting flash.

Note that I do have flash plugged into IE - which I believe I need for MJ but I don't have it plugged into Mozilla which is what I expose myself on the public network with.

ram

BTW Mozilla is top 5 browsers (all but IE are waay under 10%). Mozilla supports flash as does IE, as does just about every version of navigator 3.x 4.x and I believe 7x does as well (I prefer the mozilla branch - more or less the same thing).
Pages: [1]   Go Up