INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MPEG-2 Playback issue - CCCP related or MC12?  (Read 1692 times)

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
MPEG-2 Playback issue - CCCP related or MC12?
« on: December 13, 2006, 11:09:08 am »

After reading numerous posts on CCCP and ffdshow, I decided to get rid of PowerDVD (v.4) and use just the CCCP pack for my ripped DVD playback.  I'm having some strange results, it could be that I just don't understand the new DirectShow "mapping".

All my DVDs are ripped IFO/VOB. 

1.  If I play the IFO file, everything sounds and looks great, but the ffdshow video decoder icon is not present, however the MPV decoder filter is.  Is this a DS mapping issue and if so, how do I choose the ffdshow MPEG4 decoder against the IFO/VOB file (file type doesn't exist)?

2.  If I play a VOB file, audio is fine, video is black (no picture).

Before installing CCCP, everything was very clean and I made sure to uninstall PowerDVD4.  I installed the beta version (2.37) of CCCP.

I guess the question is:  Has anyone gotten MC12 to work with IFO/VOB files using the CCCP ffdshow MPEG4 video decoder?
openSUSE TW/Plasma5 x86_64 | Win10Pro/RX560
S.M.S.L USB-DAC => Transcendent GG Pre (kit) => Transcendent mono OTLs (kit)
(heavily modded) Hammer Dynamics Super-12s (kit)
(optionally) VonSchweikert VR8s

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
Re: MPEG-2 Playback issue - CCCP related or MC12?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 12:53:27 pm »

Bit more info...

I mistakenly labeled the version of CCCP I'm using.  It's the 12/7 beta release with ffdshow of Sep 30.

I've discovered a couple of things...

MediaPlayer Classic and Zoom Player that come with CCCP, when working with the VOBs, use the ffdShow MPEG4 decoder instead of the MPV decoder, thus perserving all of the niceties of the DVD interface (menus, chapters, etc.).

Also, if I change the extension of the VOB to MPEG, and make the appropriate mapping in the DirectShow filter list for file type "mpeg", MediaCenter now picks up the ffdshow MPEG4 decoder quite nicely, however, all of the DVD niceties are gone as it sees the file as just a big MPEG video.

Is it that MC is seeing the VOB file and then asking DS for an MPEG2 decoder and DS returns the MPV as the first MPEG2 decoder available?  How does one figure out the priorities of the installed/registered filters and codecs?

I apologize if this has been covered, I couldn't seem to find precise answers while searching this AM.

Also, in one of threads I was reading this AM re: CCCP (I can't remember or find which one), someone mentioned that after uninstalling CCCP, they had an unusable media machine or some such.  Well, if on the install of CCCP you checked to install WMV9 codecs, then the uninstall removed all of them (something to do with how MS has them installed, according to the CCCP Wiki).  This could be why your machine is "hosed".

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 04:02:40 pm »

I'm leaving now so I'll answer in more detail tomorrow, but for now:

Go to Start --> Programs --> CCCP --> FFDSHOW Video Decoder Config
In the "tree" on the left, scroll all the way up and click "Codecs".
On the right, find "MPEG2" under "Format" and change it from disabled to libavcodec.

This will bump the priority of FFDSHOW over MPV Decoder.  CCCP still uses MPV decoder for MPEG2 playback because of some very specific (and somewhat rare) bugs in FFDSHOWs MPEG2 decoding.  I'm not sure why you're having the VOB playback issue, but this move should tell DirectShow to use FFDSHOW for MPEG2 decoding.  You can also enable MPEG1 in there while you're at it if you want.

Big discussion of the MPV vs. FFDSHOW (libavcodec) thing on the CCCP Forums here: http://www.cccp-project.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=739&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 07:59:45 pm »

First, hats off to you Glynor, I've found a bunch of your thread responses and pieced together a solution here that is just -- WOW.  MC12 with the CCCP pkg for stan. def. DVD playback is just fantastic.  No comparison to the Cyberlink/PowerDVD that I was using before.  Not just because of the picture quality, but the stability and performance on what is a very modest machine.

That said, I'm still using the MPV decoder filter and I have the VMR9 unchecked.  FWIW, I've had the MPEG2 and MPEG1 format set to libavcodec in the codec setup since the install of CCCP.

Edit:  Just found the "Decode DVD (does not work)" checkbox, duh.  And alas, it gives me the ffdshow decoder, but my machine is just not up to the task, many dropped frames.  Back to MPV, it works really well.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 10:04:26 am »

Edit:  Just found the "Decode DVD (does not work)" checkbox, duh.  And alas, it gives me the ffdshow decoder, but my machine is just not up to the task, many dropped frames.  Back to MPV, it works really well.

It's not your machine.  They weren't lying when they said "does not work".   ;)

I have a machine with a dual-core AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.5GHz with 2GB of RAM and a high-end video card, and it doesn't work on that box either.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up