INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CDDB Version 9  (Read 968 times)

quisp411

CDDB Version 9
« on: September 03, 2002, 11:45:58 am »

Is it true that CDDB won't be part of version 9? I had to reinstall version 8 since the alpha of 9 didn't include it. If it's money, I'm willing to pay, lots and lots of money. I've got over 2000 CDs of very eclectic tastes and YADB and the FreeDB it is based on is garbage. A DB is only as good as it's content and I'm getting about a 2 in ten hit with YADB. With CDDB I've only had 2 out of 489 CDs not show up.

Even if I could type 120 words per minute and my chest filled with a sense of pride as people looked on with amazement at my tremendous typing skills, I've simply got other things to do. Rote typing of CD song titles is absolutely the least interesting part of digitzing and listening to music, especially when I'm aware of the options.

Can someone recommend another product? I have have absolutly no use for a ripping product that doesn't support CDDB.

galaxy30

RE:CDDB Version 9
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2002, 07:42:24 am »

A database is only as good as the people using it.  Take the time to upload just one CD -- if everyone does that then maybe the DB will become more usable.  Also, I haven't had such back luck with the YADB, and I wouldn't exactly call my CD collection "mainstream".

quisp411

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2002, 08:52:36 am »

Dang, Galaxy300. I wish I had read your message before I had uploaded hundreds of CD's to CDDB over the years and a few dozen to FreeDB. It would have saved me a lot of effort.

If I could run version 8 and 9 at the same time, I'd have no problem updating YADB since I can switch between the two in version 8. Then again, I've been updating CDDB for years and don't really see any reason to reinvent the wheel and invest more time and effort in a DB that could be dropped next version.

Regarding mainstream, what is really odd is how many "mainstream" CD's aren't in the database. For instance, Close to the Edge by Yes. The failure rate probably had something to do with what type of music or what part of the alphabet I was working on. My guess is that the average would still end up being about 50-60%, pretty weak.

Point is, though I'm sure you meant well, I wasn't asking for a lecture, you don't know me or my work habits. You DO know that I was asking if anyone could recommend an alternate product for ripping (that supports CDDB). I still intend to use MJ for everything else as it kicks ass, but without CDDB support it blows as a timesaving ripping utiltity...at least 40-50% of the time.

quisp411

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2002, 12:03:12 pm »

I think I've just answered my own question. Seems there is at least one free utility out there that will query CDDB.

http://www.marvintec.com/en_cdaid.htm

I should be able to test out MJ v9 and continue on with the task of ripping my CDs AND update YADB when necessary...
Pages: [1]   Go Up