INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MDAC, Jet dB engine and ODBC for JR/MC??  (Read 1275 times)

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
MDAC, Jet dB engine and ODBC for JR/MC??
« on: December 27, 2006, 01:39:15 pm »

Does MC depend on the default MSFT MDAC, Jet dB engine/API or **any** components of ODBC for operation?  Can I completely deinstall those MSFT components and all assoicated .dlls (including ODBCCP32.DLL) and still have MC 'be happy' and run?

thanks!

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
Re: Jet dB engine and ODBC for MC??
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 01:42:39 pm »

Does MC depend on the default MSFT Jet database engine/API or **and** component of ODBC for operation?  Can I completely deinstall those two MSFT components and all assoicated .dlls (including ODBCCP32.DLL) and still have MC 'be happy' and run?

thanks!

I think MC uses it's own proprietry database system, tweaked to their own specs.
Why would you want to remove them though?
And how for that matter?  Fairly sure they don't have an uninstall routine!

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
Re: MDAC, Jet dB engine and ODBC for JR/MC??
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 01:48:48 pm »

jeez, fast response, must be a slow day at the office (mine is.....)

Anyway;

I use some interesting freeware tools (nlite, ryanVM packs, Bts driver packs) to cut down and heavily tweak & modify my XP loads.  I've built a reasonably functional XP load that is about 125Mb on a CD before I pre-install the "world of drivers" with the BtS driver packs.  My current XP loads are in the 200Mb range (without drivers) and I'm looking to see what else I can pull out.

My XP loads & installs go from bare-matal disk to user login in about 7 minutes these days.

Since things are slow at the office, I thought I'd use some of this bench time to strip down and build up an absolutely minimalist XP load in an appliance style.

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 01:56:12 pm »

lol fair enough!
Reminds me, at the last company i worked at they used XP Embedded,
which allows you to pick and choose the bits of XP you actually wanted.
I think MS reckoned you could get the operating system
down to around 50mb, with just enough essential parts!
I was working with the guy that had to build the install, and it gave him
huge headaches working out which bits were needed for the stuff
we were doing, it really wasn't a simple job! 

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 02:16:51 pm »

It is if you can lock down requirements on the box, thing is new things crop up and require things you removed, so you have to repeat the process (after you figure out the missing parts). This sort of minimalist approach might be desirable in a work environment where things are pretty much locked down anyways, but at home is another matter.

I have never bothered with stripping down install disks, who cares if it takes a few hundred MB more to install. The size of my system image is cpl orders magnitude (and then some) less in comparison to my media partitions. I have never done a whole system reinstall ever (must be 4 yrs now since XP xame out). If you are careful about imaging before installing any new app, and testing you will find little need to re-install the OS. If i find the system acting up, invariably its a hw fault.

The more interesting part is reducing what gets put in RAM. whats needed and what's not. I read about nlite the other day, i was hoping it would be a working replacement for win explorer, but my initial impression is that its not.

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 04:36:04 pm »

It is if you can lock down requirements on the box, thing is new things crop up and require things you removed, so you have to repeat the process (after you figure out the missing parts). This sort of minimalist approach might be desirable in a work environment where things are

You'd think it would be, but It really wasn't.  The requirements were very much tied down,
thousands of pages of the things.  It was more a case of finding that XP isn't as modular
as they'd like you to think it is, and taking out certain bits effected other bits which
really would appear to have no relation what so ever. 

The system had to be known inside out, which was why they'd gone for dismantling it in the first place.  It was an odd thing though, because the powers that be required that what ever made the system work was understood and could not break, as it was part of a saftey critical system(In many more words than that).  In reality to implement the complexities involved in the system, a modern operating system, with complex GUI capabilities was required, which could never meet for sure the saftey criteria requested.

Some reckoned they should have gone with Linux, but then it wasn't like their budget was gonna allow the analysis of several million lines of code either.

I reckon if most industrial projects stuck to the rules down to the line, most industrial projects wouldn't happen.
Pages: [1]   Go Up