INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD Playback Error -  (Read 846 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
DVD Playback Error -
« on: December 28, 2006, 09:01:03 pm »

Hi,
Sorry for the Noob Q - but I've got a DVD Playback problem where:
* 2 out of 3 DVD-Video streams failed to render properly
    - video stream
    - subpicture stream

I can play DVD's fine on the same box in WMP11 or Nero.  I can play MPG files fine in MC and now know more on mix and matching the Direct Draw filters (way cool).  When I look at the available filters in the DVD Options I see plenty for Audio but NONE (just Default) for the video stream which I imagine causes the problem!  I can see available "DVD" filter options (eg Nero) if I look at the filter options for the mpg files but nil under the DVD playback area.  The only other codecs I have installed at this stage is FFDSHOW.

Any advice would be terrific!
Thanks
Nathan

JRiver CEO Elect

vine-au

• Junior Woodchuck
  • negative, I am a meat popsicle...
Re: DVD Playback Error -
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 11:01:01 pm »

Windows has a DVD decoder built in via WMP, but it sounds like yours is broken. Try downloading and installing the K-Lite mega codec pack, and install the CyberLink/InterVideo dvd engine. It Will check for broken/missing codecs on istall, and will also give you a heap of codecs for playing back just about anything.

EDIT: Link http://www.codecguide.com/about_mega.htm

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: DVD Playback Error - Fixed
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 06:41:28 pm »

FYI - I've added the nVidia PureVideo Decoder and am now very pleased with the quality of the playback for both DVD's and in particular MPG file handling.  MPG Playback is now smooth with little tearing, interlace issues are gone, plays all file types (including Muxed MPG/DTS files), and the Aspect Ratio is now always correct (no manual switching).  The following is the filter selection that works for me:
* Nero File Source (Async)
* Nero Splitter
* NVIDIA Video Driver

It then auto selects, "FFDSHOW Audio" decoder and "Video Mixer"

I still get some frame rate shudder but I think that has something to do with the video card settings (will play more later)

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up