INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: preserving thumbnails when upgrading from 11 to 12 (revisited)  (Read 648 times)

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
preserving thumbnails when upgrading from 11 to 12 (revisited)
« on: December 30, 2006, 03:39:46 pm »

I raised this issue in the past: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=36253.0

There needs to be a better way to preserve thumbnails captured via screengrabs when upgrading from 11 to 12.

I did some tests on MC11.1.200 and MC12.0.130 and confirmed the following:

- MC11 stores screengrabbed thumbnails in C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\Data\ScreenGrabs

- MC12 stores screengrabbed thumbnails in C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 12\Data\ScreenGrabs

- When upgrading from 11 to 12, MC12 continues to recognize screengrabbed thumbnails created by MC11, however the location remains C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\Data\ScreenGrabs.

- There does not appear to be a registry hack available to move the Screengrab folder.

- It is not possible to edit the database field "Image File" which points to the thumbnail file.

This means Screengrab data (and all the effort required to created it) will be lost unless one leaves the data stored in C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 11\Data\ScreenGrabs intact for perpetuity.

As stated before, I believe the correct solution is to treat Screengrab data as valuable data and move it under the database root so that it can be cleanly backed up with all other valuable user created data.

It there is not the will to fix this properly, may I suggest two "quick fix" workarounds that will be good enough for me:

1) Add a registry key that specifies the location of Screengrab data; and
2) Make the Image File field data editable so I can manually move it.

I really think this issue needs to be addressed before MC12 comes out of beta.

Regards, Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up