INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How about umpc's?  (Read 1206 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
How about umpc's?
« on: April 17, 2007, 04:52:05 pm »

How well does MC run on ultra mobile PC's?  I am considering the Medion:
http://microsoftatces.com/photos/storage/1000.6.536.CES-medionUMPC.jpg

Anyone have any experience with this or other UMPC's?  I currently own a Medion laptop with Pentium M processor and it has worked great for me.  I would like to look at an UMPC because portability is key in a laptop for me.  My current laptop is 12" and I couldn't imagine how portable a 6.5" screen would be.

MC would be a bit cramped with such a low res screen, 800x480.  I'm seriously considering this but want to hear remarks first.

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
Re: How about umpc's?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 06:51:04 pm »

What does this have to do with MC12?

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 07:24:10 pm »

What does this have to do with MC12?

Media Center's name maybe considered to implie a central media management and
entertainment system.

One could imagine that future homes may have devices like the
one Ben has suggested in common use.  If the device is running
a full version of Windows, then hopefully it will run MC.

What I would Imagine / like to see is a device like this being used as an interface
for Media Center, with the main display area being on a large HD-TV,
allowing you to surf from the arm chair with a light weight computer on your lap,
not straigning your eyes, and having a tangible user interface,
but getting the big screen interface for your movies.

Maybe the questions not what does it have to do with MC, but how
can it be used with MC.

I guess at the moment however they're expensive, and i'm
not sure the technologys ready yet, but to be fair I've not seen
one running as yet.

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 07:32:30 pm »

I still fail to see what this topic has to do with MC12. I believe there's a special forum for this kind of discussion, isn't there one?

Oh, and i also would like to have a portable PC, able to run the latest 3D games, with a portable 24'' display, and all for under 50 bucks. I may have to wait a little for this to come true.

Or, if we're talking remote control, i would like to control all aspects of MC with the knobs on my toaster, and have the visualizations, and track info burned into the slice of toast currently in it. I consider buying 45 of the most expensive, titanium plated toasters i can find to achieve this.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 11:17:12 pm »

It's a big question.

First, the Medion UMPC is right around $1,000 and I think they have an $800 model.  If that's out of sight, price wise, then I'm confused.  You can hardly get a decent laptop for that.  UMPC's provide very portable everything...it is definitely a full computer.  My question is if anyone owns an UMPC.  Generally, I want to know how Media Center performs on it, since most UMPC's are 1.2 GHz or less.  The slowest machine I run MC on is 2.4 GHz.

This is a huge topic but it's still a bit ahead of its time.  There are so many applications it's mind boggling.  I can picture using it as an mp3 player.  It's not that big and considering with wifi, you could have 100% of your music, it would be handy and chuck full of music.  It would easily fit in a small backpack, too.

Apparently, few if anyone here owns an UMPC so there isn't much to say.  Yes, my question is like saying How Does MC run on a computer?  But UMPC's are extremely new (somewhat anyway) and they essentially started at version 1 not too long ago.  Each version works out big kinks, like battery life, performance, expandability, weight, and adds features.  They are changing at a much faster rate than desktop PCs...which pretty much have almost no limitations compared to a laptop, which has some, but the UMPC has essentially all limitations.  I doubt you can do much expansion on an UMPC.

It's also a question about the UMPC in general.  Would you buy one?  It's hard to say without actually using one.  I personally like the two handed operation.  You could walk while using it.  Even tablets aren't as convenient in most cases.  They require one whole arm to hold the thing and one to add input.  With the UMPC, both hands can type on the extended keyboard.

Plus, tablets are heavy and can become heavy after long periods of holding them.  These are smaller.  Any discussion would be great...if anyone owns an UMPC?!
Pages: [1]   Go Up