INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Smartlists and UPnP server - Caching Smartlists  (Read 1817 times)

horse

• World Citizen
Random Smartlists and UPnP server - Caching Smartlists
« on: January 06, 2007, 12:56:40 pm »

I have set up various smartlists with a random sort which works great on the PC interface.
Each time I click the playlist I get a different file selection. While using the UPnP server however I can select a random smartlist, start playing, select another playlist and start playing it, when I return to the first playlist, the list of songs is the same as before.

I checked to see if it was my receiver that was caching the playlist, but in the Sniffer (Ethereal) trace I see that MC 12.139 is returning the same file list from the UPnP server. Is the caching of this response the expected behaviour?

I have Smartlists like: -

20 Male Vocal Songs
20 Female Vocal Songs

and would like it to be a new random selection each time it is requested. (Like the PC interface)

Any ideas? Could find nothing in the forums searching for smartlists and UPnP

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: Random Smartlists and UPnP server - Caching Smartlists
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 07:26:47 pm »

Hmmm... this may be broken, but it may be working as expected.

For technical reasons, the UPnP server has to be careful about redoing the random order of a smartlist.
It keeps track of how far away from the smartlist you browse in your library. If you get far enough
away, it should re-do the randomness of the smartlist.

I'll take a look tomorrow to make sure everything is working, but for now, try going up two levels before
going back to the smartlist.

j

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 02:33:26 pm »

It looks like it's working correctly. Let me know if you have any suggestions or inconsistencies...

j

horse

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 02:38:20 pm »

Thanks John as always.

Yes after further experimentation (after reading the Wiki) it does provide a new selection if I go back another level in the menu.
You mention that changing the playlist to dynamically may cause problems, i guess that is because some devices are not designed to handle such events. Thanks for checking and the expected behavior based on the explanation makes sense.
Pages: [1]   Go Up