INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ID3 Corruption?  (Read 960 times)

markheus

• DSL TechMusic :D
ID3 Corruption?
« on: September 02, 2002, 03:54:16 pm »

Hi all. I'm a pretty new user to this and I'm pretty happy so far but I have two quick questions.

it seems as though when I import files that have been ripped with wmp that it reads the id3 v1 tag sometimes and id3 v2 tag other others times.

If I make any modifications to the tag in MJ and then look at the file properties in explorer all the information has dissapeared.

One more thing, if I manually download alblum art into the appropiate folder MJ automatically detects it. But for those folders that wmp has created it does not do it for some reason> Could this be because the system tag is set?

Any help or explanantion is appreciated.
Thanks again!

Mark

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
RE:ID3 Corruption?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2002, 04:02:50 pm »

>> If I make any modifications to the tag in MJ and then look at the
>> file properties in explorer all the information has dissapeared
thats because Windows Explorer does not like a Media tag MJ is using.

Listening to: 'Der Kommissar (German Version)' from 'The Best Of' by 'Falco' on Media Jukebox
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

drosoph

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2002, 04:22:54 pm »

I too have seen this problem ... (Im using version 9 on WinXP .. with .MP3 files) ... tested the tags with Windows & with Dr. Tag (ID3v2) ... Tags seem to be getting STRIPPED ... Dr. Tag even sees that new MJ Tags that are in there ... but the artist/songtitle/album are getting stripped off somehow ...

Are these converted into proprietary tags ? I figured they should just be stored in the usual ID3v2.3 format in the file ...

LCtheDJ

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2002, 07:54:32 pm »

Once again I see that MJ is not playing nicely with others.

I entered an ID3v2.3 comment with Winamp, but MJ doesn't see it.  I enter one with MJ and Winamp doesn't see it.  I opened the mp3 file in a hex editor and I see that Winamp is entering comments after a tag identifier of "TCOM", where MJ is using "COMM".

I really hate it when my toys don't get along well.  It is time to make sure that MJ is conforming to the ID3 standards.

markheus

• DSL TechMusic :D
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2002, 09:13:45 pm »

I agree with you completely. I use a couple different programs and it is important to me that they all are accessing the same information.

It makes things unecesarily complex otherwise.

I do love being able to full screen the track info though.

That rocks :D

Mirko

• Galactic Citizen
  • Coffee ready?
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2002, 09:28:47 pm »

Maybe it would be possible to follow the ID3V2-standard-tags some more. Or let the user change them (e.g. using registry editor).

joe|PLS|mama

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2002, 12:56:18 am »

I changed the ID3v2 comment field using Tag&Rename.  I then opened the file in Winamp, the changes were there.  Then in MJ, I had to delete the track from the Media Library and then re-import it, but the changes to the comment then showed up.

I then opened the file in Winamp, made changes to the comment.  They showed up fine in Tag&Rename.  Then in MJ, had to delete and re-import again, but then the changes showed up.

Finally, I made changes to the comment field in MJ.  Opened the file in Tag&Rename, the changes were there.  Then opened the file in Winamp, and the changes showed in the ID3v1 comment field, but not the ID3v2 comment field.

So, Tag&Rename recognized the comment field changes made by both MJ and Winamp.  MJ recognized the comment changes made by Tag&Rename and Winamp, only after re-importing the file.  Winamp recognized the changes made by Tag&Rename, and only partially the changes made by MJ.

Very strange.

Rob

joe|PLS|mama

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2002, 01:22:44 am »

So, after a little more experimentation, the "problem" seems partly to depend on how MJ is set to handle ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags.  I have mine set to Save (create if necessary) for both v1 and v2 tags and some of the odd behavior seems to happen when the v1 and v2 tag fields are not synchronized.
Pages: [1]   Go Up