INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replay Gain only working in MJ?  (Read 1933 times)

JunkieXL

• Recent member
  • Tenderfoot..... ?!
Replay Gain only working in MJ?
« on: May 24, 2003, 05:33:17 am »

I have all my files analized with built in replay gain. When playing tracks in other programs like Winamp, the playback volume is not adjusted.

Is built in Replay gain only working in MJ? So if I want to use other players should I use the standalone MP3Gain software?

Greets,
Dominique

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Replay Gain only working in MJ?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2003, 10:44:37 am »

When you analyze files with MJs built-in Replay Gain, the info is saved in the file tags. Only MJ/MC is able to read these tags.

Remember, if you use MP3gain to sound level your files, that it changes the actual file, as opposed to just saving the info in the tags. So do a few tests before you run it on a lot of files.

Also, I recall there is a plugin for Winamp that works similarly to MJs Replay Gain. If I can find the link to it I'll post it here.

Rob

Mysticeti

• World Citizen
  • music, SCUBA, movies, VR, multimedia, PCs
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2003, 02:20:35 pm »

Is MJ8's Replay Gain utilized when you burn an audio from analyzed MP3 files?

It doesn't seem to be working for me.
"And the men who hold high places. Must be the ones who start... to mold a new reality. Closer to the Heart."

JunkieXL

• Recent member
  • Tenderfoot..... ?!
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2003, 09:32:59 am »

Thanx Rob, I'll stick with MJ replay gain.

rocketsauce

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2003, 10:13:04 pm »

Is MJ8's Replay Gain utilized when you burn an audio from analyzed MP3 files?

MC9 has this option. In MJ8, I believe you have to use the Diskwriter in Playback options, which will output the selected files as .wavs with whatever Replay Gain/DSP settings you have turned on at the time. Then you burn the new .wav files.

Rob

Mysticeti

• World Citizen
  • music, SCUBA, movies, VR, multimedia, PCs
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2003, 07:10:42 am »

Thanks Rocketsauce.   Sounds like another good reason to upgrade.
"And the men who hold high places. Must be the ones who start... to mold a new reality. Closer to the Heart."

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2003, 12:34:59 am »

MP3Gain does not change the file. It changes the gain info only. If you reversse the change, you have the file you started with.

Since this does work with other players, it is a good method to use.

Replay Gain is great within MC as it appears to do more than simply attenuate or boost the sound level.

I use both. The only difference I see is that the Replay Gain levels are decreased somewhat if MP3Gain is used first.

No harm to your files will come from using either or both. So why not have the best of both worlds?

Hope this helps.

I have all my files analized with built in replay gain. When playing tracks in other programs like Winamp, the playback volume is not adjusted.

Is built in Replay gain only working in MJ? So if I want to use other players should I use the standalone MP3Gain software?

Greets,
Dominique

rocketsauce

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2003, 03:51:15 am »

MP3Gain does not change the file. It changes the gain info only. If you reversse the change, you have the file you started with.

Since this does work with other players, it is a good method to use.

MP3gain does physically alter the file. That's how it's able to work with any MP3 player. The new 1.1 beta, unlike previous versions, saves the gain info in a tag so that it is easy to undo the changes. If, for some reason, you turn 1.1s undo feature off, or are using a previous version and don't save a copy of the changelog, then there is no way to undo the changes. I recall reading several posts on these forums from people who applied bad gain settings to their collections and ruined literally hundreds or thousands of files. Also, be aware that the 1.1 beta saves the undo info in an APE2 tag (instead of ID3v2) which could cause problems with some players.

Rob

MachineHead

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2003, 06:33:46 pm »

I recall reading several posts on these forums from people who applied bad gain settings to their collections and ruined literally hundreds or thousands of files.

That was me.

MP3Gain most certainly alters files. I can deal with turning the volume knob when using the portable (in the car). Most of the time it's just loud anyway.

LCtheDJ

• Junior Woodchuck
  • A day without music is... unacceptable!
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2003, 08:24:58 am »

It's been a while since I last checked, but when I did, MJ was using a target point of the original 83 dB.  Most of the rest of the audio community has moved to using 89 dB as the target loudness point.  This means that if you use Mp3Gain on your files to set them at a playback level of 89 dB, MJ will analyze them and lower the playback another 6 dB.

Just another point to consider...
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." -- American humorist Will Rogers (1879-1935)
Pages: [1]   Go Up