INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Compaq iPaq PA-1 MP3 Player - transfer problem  (Read 1011 times)

Monica

Compaq iPaq PA-1 MP3 Player - transfer problem
« on: September 02, 2002, 07:43:01 am »

I'm new to MJ (and LOVE it, BTW).  I have the device listed above which has been nothing but buggy. MJ v8 seems to handle it beautifully, with one exception.  I compressed some MP3s to 80kbps, then transferred them to my device.  The transfer worked well (which I cannot say for any other software I've found).  The problem -- once there, each song repeats the last second or so.  Just once, so it's not like it's in a loop.  It just repeats the last second of each song once.  Any ideas?  The compressed version on my hard drive sounds fine.

BTW, I did try the "compress and transfer" feature, which is way cool.  But it only seemed to work sporadically.  I decided to just compress a bunch of them, so I'd have them on hand.

Thanks,
Monica

Steve

RE:Compaq iPaq PA-1 MP3 Player - transfer problem
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2002, 10:38:23 am »

Monica,

I will test this out tomorrow when I am at work and have the PA-1 available to test. Can you try to give more specifics on how the compress and transfer fails for you so I can try to duplicate it. This is not anything I have seen any reports of problems with before. Please make sure you have the latest MJ version 8 and let me know what Operating System you have. More tomorrow.

Steve (JRiver)

Monica

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2002, 01:10:36 pm »

Steve, thanks for your quick reply.  I have Win98.  The compression seems to work fine -- it's just that once the compressed file gets transferred, and I play it on my PA-1, it repeats the last bit of each song.

FWIW-1 -- My husband has the exact same player, but an XP machine.  He can take the file I compressed with MJ, and transfer it to his player using RioPort and he has no problem.  

FWIW-2 -- This device has been very buggy for me, and I'm on my second device, because Compaq couldn't figure out what was wrong with the first one (I still have the same problems).  I found MJ when I was looking for a replacement for the RioPort software.  This particular problem is VERY minor, believe me.  I am already so thrilled with MJ and its interface with the PA-1 -- I can't tell you!

So, thanks for any help at all that you can provide.
Monica

Monica

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2002, 03:05:47 pm »

Forgot to mention I am using version 8.0356

Steve

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2002, 12:46:49 pm »

Monica,

Thanks for the additional information. I can not duplicate either of them here on a Windows 98 PC. Here are a few suggestions.

Problem 1) Sporadic compress and transfer....

Take 3 files and have them transfer using this feature. If this fails in any way, try it again and see if it fails in exactly the same way. Let me know what you find. Also tell me what you are converting from and to (i.e 128 kbps mp3 files to 96 kbps mp3 files with what encoder)

Problem 2) The repeat of the last few few seconds....

Have your husband transfer the file using MJ on his XP and see if the file has the same repeating problem. Also, try transferring the compressed file from your PC using the RioPort software and see if the file has the repeat problem.  If you have a file that repeats when transferred to the iPaq, but is fine when played from in MJ, email it to me at steve @ jriver.com and I will test it here tomorrow.

Monica

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2002, 01:00:10 pm »

Cool, thanks.  I will spend some time experimenting tonight.
Pages: [1]   Go Up