INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 12 Handheld Syncing Problem  (Read 12260 times)

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
Re: MC 12 Handheld Syncing Problem
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2007, 06:44:58 pm »

I stopped the synch and rebooted, to clear things out, fresh memory and restarted the synch with a clean system.

Now MC says it will take 2.7 hours to complete.  Screen redraws are slow, the grid does not scroll right as it's uploading files, half lines are drawn at it tries to scroll up.  Synch speed is still 2-3 mb per second.

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2007, 10:13:07 pm »

This is unbelievable....

I've been trying all night to get a full load of my ipod80.  I have 11,473 files to load.  I've been stopping and starting it in an attempt to get it all loaded.

I just stopped it with 9226 files loaded and ejected and shut down MC.  The ipod shows it as the 9226 files.  Okay so far.

I restarted MC and plugged in the ipod.

Now MC says there are 2247 (which is about right) files to synch and it's 145mb over capacity.  What is going on?

MC says I have 74.4gig capacity and 14.7gig free.  I have changed no files or the library all night, I have not played a track all night long, my MC db has not changed all night.  And now suddenly, it says I'm over capacity and it refuses to load the remaining tracks.

Does anyone know what the last version of MC worked properly with ipods?  I may be able to find an old installation file on one of my backups and just use that one until MC is fixed.  Until then, I have no choice but to use <shudder> iTunes, but it works.

(I think I'm allowed to complain now, this is not beta software anymore)

Media Center Registered 12.0.157 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 12\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Intel Unknown 2665 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 2097 MB, Free - 1698 MB

Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.11 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82.2900 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.0.2900 / Shell32.dll: 6.0.2900 / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0002) , ASPI for Win32         DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0002)

Ripping /   Drive X: TSSTcorpCD/DVDW SH-S182M  Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive Y: ATAPI   DVD RW            Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   D:\Graphics\Humor\Sounds\Simpsons\burns-excellnt.wav

Burning /  Drive X: TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182M   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive Y: TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182M   Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:48  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /

Portable Device Info
  Removed devices: THUMBDRIVE (G:),GKERBER (G:)

Device info dump for 'gek80 (P:)':

WMDMName: XXX80 (P:)
DeviceUID: $$?$storage#removablemedia#8&32329413&0&rm#{53f5630d-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}$0
CanonicalName: \\?\STORAGE#RemovableMedia#8&32329413&0&RM#{53f5630d-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}$0
VendorName: ; VendorID: 1452
ProductID: 4617; FirmwareVersion: 1.62
WMDMSerialNumber: NULL
DeviceType: 3; DeviceID: 8L637XJQV9R; DeviceName: Apple iPod; UnsupportedDevice: 0
IsDrive: 1; DriveLetter: P:; DrivePath: ; MainDriveLetter: P:
IsJanusCapable: ; IsIpod: 1
SupportsAlbumArt: 1; AlbumArtEnabled: 1
SupportsFolders: -1; PlaylistFormat: 0; EjectMode: 0; AlwaysPumpCOMMessages: 0
SupportedFileTypes: mp3;wav;mp4;aa;m4a;m4b;m4p;aiff;aif;bmp;jpg;jpeg;gif;tif;tiff;png;sgi;psd;mov;m4v
ContextMenus: Delete
MemoryTypes: Internal Memory
InstallURL:
ApplicationName: Media Center
ImageName: Apple iPod Video (black)
RootBasePath:
AudioBasePath: Music\[Artist]\[Album]\
ImageBasePath: Images\
VideoBasePath: Video\
DataBasePath: Data\
PlaylistBasePath: ROOT\
DatabaseBasePath:
AudibleBasePath: Audible\
MatchKeyExpression: If(IsEqual([Media Type], Image), [Name][File Size, 0], [Name]Clean([Artist], 1)[Album][Genre]FormatNumber([Track #, 0])[Media Type])
ChangeKeyExpression: If(IsEqual([Media Type], Image),,[Rating][Composer][Date Modified])

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2007, 10:14:18 pm »

sorry dup message, see above

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2007, 10:34:18 pm »

We need a step-by-step describing your problems.

Many people are using an iPod without issue, so something "special" is happening.

One possibility is that a hang or crash from an older build got the iPod and the iPod database out of sync.  A Reinitialize is needed if this happens.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2007, 11:14:23 pm »

We need a step-by-step describing your problems.

Many people are using an iPod without issue, so something "special" is happening.

One possibility is that a hang or crash from an older build got the iPod and the iPod database out of sync.  A Reinitialize is needed if this happens.

I reinitialized before trying to synch with the latest public build tonight.

I stopped and started the synch many times this evening, and ejected properly each time and shutdown MC and restarted MC and restarted the synch.  After the last stop/restart MC now says I don't have enough capacity to finish the synch.

That is the whole process I followed this evening and ended up with another failed synch attempt.

I've started deleting files from the ipod using MC and then having it recheck synch.

Now it says I have 1552 files to synch and that I'm 424mb over capacity.

I deleted more files from the ipod.

Now it says I have 4318 files to synch and that I'm 174mb over capacity.

Deleted more files.

Now it says I have 5514 files to synch and that I have 8.8mb of space available.

I'd guess this space problem is caused by incorrect calcs on available space.

jmx

• Recent member
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2007, 12:16:56 am »

I don't know if this is related to the above problem, but here's a problem I've been having:

If I have some large .flac files that I want to xfer to my handheld (CL MuVo, WMDM disabled),
MC 12 won't let me sync them because the .flac size is greater than the free space on the handheld.
even if I've set the transfer options to transcode the files to a much smaller format (WMA VBR).

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2007, 01:03:06 am »

Slipknot - what format are those files in (sorry if you said and I missed it)?  I've had lots of trouble over the last few builds, but absolutely no trouble getting my 60GB unit loaded with the latest build.  All my files are APE and MP3.  I have seen a few complaints about how MC has been calculating free space with FLAC with 12 - but since I don't currently use FLAC I haven't really paid attention to the current status.

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2007, 01:34:13 am »

Most of my files are APE, with very few MP3 files.  I have my cache setup and working.

I finally got my ipod loaded... and there is space left on the ipod, but MC will not allow me to do another synch, it says I'm 245mb over....  It seems MC is not calculating space correctly and this prevents full use of the ipod hard disk space.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2007, 08:49:00 am »

Conversion gets accounted for when figuring available handheld space.

For example, I just dropped 85 GB of APE files on an iPod.  MC correctly shows that the 30 GB iPod could still hold 10 GB more stuff.

Perhaps there's some overflow condition, or a problem with a certain encoder?

Any more details would be great.  Thanks.

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2007, 09:09:37 am »

Conversion gets accounted for when figuring available handheld space.

For example, I just dropped 85 GB of APE files on an iPod.  MC correctly shows that the 30 GB iPod could still hold 10 GB more stuff.

Perhaps there's some overflow condition, or a problem with a certain encoder?

Any more details would be great.  Thanks.

I am using the VBR mp3 encoder in the handheld options at HIGH quality.  I do not have the "fast" option checked.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2007, 11:55:49 am »

Remember that MC intentionally leaves a little free space on the iPod.  (for the database, cover art changes, etc.)  This could be a few hundred MB with a large iPod.

Could this explain what you're seeing?

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2007, 12:23:26 pm »

Remember that MC intentionally leaves a little free space on the iPod.  (for the database, cover art changes, etc.)  This could be a few hundred MB with a large iPod.

Could this explain what you're seeing?

I've started deleting files from the ipod using MC and then having it recheck synch.

Now it says I have 1552 files to synch and that I'm 424mb over capacity.

I deleted more files from the ipod.

Now it says I have 4318 files to synch and that I'm 174mb over capacity.

Deleted more files.

Now it says I have 5514 files to synch and that I have 8.8mb of space available.

Would the extra space MC reserves account for the results shown above?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2007, 12:30:03 pm »

Would the extra space MC reserves account for the results shown above?

Those sizes likely include both what is on the iPod AND what is queued for transfer.

So I think the fact that it changes as you change what is on the iPod is just the difference between the estimated file size after conversion and the real size on the iPod.

The file size after conversion is, of course, only a ballpark when dealing with VBR encoding.

Does that make sense, or am I missing the boat?

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2007, 12:51:13 pm »

Those sizes likely include both what is on the iPod AND what is queued for transfer.

So I think the fact that it changes as you change what is on the iPod is just the difference between the estimated file size after conversion and the real size on the iPod.

The file size after conversion is, of course, only a ballpark when dealing with VBR encoding.

Does that make sense, or am I missing the boat?

I think it makes sense... but if the files will really fit and MC prevents the synch based on an estimate, well that is not good...  I would think MC should warn based on the estimate, but allow the synch to continue if desired, and then stop with a message if the space really does run out before the synch completes.

And in my test cases, all files to synch were either already mp3 files or were in my cache, no conversions were required, so all the file sizes to copy to the ipod were already available for MC to add up - if MC only looked at the cache instead of estimating.

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2007, 10:27:33 pm »

MC LOCKED UP AGAIN.

I had deleted all the files on my ipod, cleared my cache and changed my mp3 conversion to a fixed 192kbs conversion rate in an attempt to regain some space by lowering the conversion bitrate.

MC was screaming along, 4 simultaneous conversions and uploading, my processor was at about 80% utilized.  All four cores were working hard.  And then suddenly after about 4 hours into the synch, the processor utilization dropped to 3% and MC was locked.  I waited 5 minutes and then killed MC.

I used iTunes to re-initialize the ipod again.  It showed about 20 gig used for music and another 20% for "other" ?

Starting over again...  this is getting tiring.

I'd love to send some log info, but as already described, when I turn on logging, MC is so slow and so unresponsive, the screen takes over a few minutes to even draw itself.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2007, 10:29:06 pm »

I'd love to send some log info, but as already described, when I turn on logging, MC is so slow and so unresponsive, the screen takes over a few minutes to even draw itself.

It shouldn't be.  You may have an over-active virus checker.

We really need the log to be much help.

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2007, 10:42:54 pm »

It shouldn't be.  You may have an over-active virus checker.

We really need the log to be much help.

Norton AntiVirus is what I've used for years.

I rebooted to be safe and restarted the synch.  This time there are files in the cache.

MC is crawling this time, uploading at around 1mb per second. 

Before MC locked up a few minutes ago, it was screaming along, and said it needed another 5 hours to complete.

Now MC says it will be 20 hours to complete.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2007, 10:56:58 pm »

You should try disabling Norton -- logging should cause very little performance difference. 

Anti-viruses are great at making fast things slow.

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2007, 11:35:34 pm »

You should try disabling Norton -- logging should cause very little performance difference. 

Anti-viruses are great at making fast things slow.

I unistalled Norton AntiVirus and restarted the synch with logging turned on.

No change, still won't redraw the screen right and > 20 hours to synch, processor is at 10%

After 10-20 minutes it now redraws sluggish but usable.  Down to < 10 hours and processor is now at 80-95%.

I've sent along more info and some screen shots to your email.

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2007, 09:25:53 am »

MC was crashed this morning when I work up, and the log file has been sent to Matt.

Looks like the ipod is fully synched. 

So far, I get a good synch with logging turned on, and it locks without logging.

With logging turned on, MC is almost totally unresponsive with many minute screen redraws for 10-20 minutes on a start synch and then it gets slowly back to normal as the synch progresses.

hakuin

• World Citizen
  • Old pond, leap-splash-a frog.
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2007, 02:29:30 pm »

I upgraded MC12 .157.  I am unable to sync a large number of files to my iRiver Clix.  I know it is not a hardware problem because I can sync the same set of files using WMP11.  MC12 syncs a few tracks, and then hangs....the device remains in "USB Busy" state, and I even after unplugging the USB connector I have to do a hard reset of the device to bring it back to life.   

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2007, 04:56:25 am »

just thought i'd say that since uprading to 12.0.157 i have carried out a few large syncs/conversions to my ipod (2,000+ songs) and had no problems.  thanks for your work on this

nick.

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2007, 12:19:02 pm »

just thought i'd say that since uprading to 12.0.157 i have carried out a few large syncs/conversions to my ipod (2,000+ songs) and had no problems.  thanks for your work on this

nick.

I try to synch 11k+ tracks, which just about fills up my 80gig ipod, and the only time I have successfully completed a full synch recently is with logging turned on.  And that's by having MC almost totally unresponsive, with minute+ screen draws for the first 5-10 minutes of the synch (then it breaks loose ?).

hakuin

• World Citizen
« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2007, 02:14:44 pm »

Possible fix (and bug in MC12) that I just discovered. Facts are as follows:
(1) Using MC12 .157 and syncing to iRiver Clix (latest firmware 2.0)
(2) When I choose a few files to sync, MC does it with no problem
(3) When I tried syncing a large list, MC would hang on the first track. Would have to unplug device to bring it and MC back to life.
(4) WMP11 synced the same list to my device with no problem

Solution as follows:
(1) I figured out that it wasn't syncing a large list that was problem, but rather there were a handful of tracks within the list that were the cause.  If I tried to sync only one of these files at at time, it caused the problem.
(2) I tried turning off the sync option "Enable Album Art Support If Possible" -- and MC was able to sync these files. 
(3) I tried to figure out what about the album art for these files might be problem.  As a test I tried syncing another track with an album cover that has a larger file size (>230KB) than the problem track, but large album art synced fine.  I also tried the same test, but with larger jpeg size (> 900 x 900) and this also worked fine.
(4) I then deleted the album art for these problem tracks, and turned the enable album art option back on -- and the files synced.  I then downloaded a different album cover (from internet, manually)....and the files synced fine.

Summary:  Something about some of my album art was causing MC12 to fail to sync the files to my Clix.  It wasn't because of filesize or image resolution, but the problem was definitely MC as WMP11 synced the problem files (with the art) just fine.   So, for those having trouble syncing, maybe turning off album art is worth testing?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2007, 04:55:58 pm »

Possible fix (and bug in MC12) that I just discovered. Facts are as follows:
(1) Using MC12 .157 and syncing to iRiver Clix (latest firmware 2.0)
(2) When I choose a few files to sync, MC does it with no problem
(3) When I tried syncing a large list, MC would hang on the first track. Would have to unplug device to bring it and MC back to life.
(4) WMP11 synced the same list to my device with no problem

Solution as follows:
(1) I figured out that it wasn't syncing a large list that was problem, but rather there were a handful of tracks within the list that were the cause.  If I tried to sync only one of these files at at time, it caused the problem.
(2) I tried turning off the sync option "Enable Album Art Support If Possible" -- and MC was able to sync these files. 
(3) I tried to figure out what about the album art for these files might be problem.  As a test I tried syncing another track with an album cover that has a larger file size (>230KB) than the problem track, but large album art synced fine.  I also tried the same test, but with larger jpeg size (> 900 x 900) and this also worked fine.
(4) I then deleted the album art for these problem tracks, and turned the enable album art option back on -- and the files synced.  I then downloaded a different album cover (from internet, manually)....and the files synced fine.

Summary:  Something about some of my album art was causing MC12 to fail to sync the files to my Clix.  It wasn't because of filesize or image resolution, but the problem was definitely MC as WMP11 synced the problem files (with the art) just fine.   So, for those having trouble syncing, maybe turning off album art is worth testing?

If you still have a file that won't sync well, could you send a copy to matt at jriver dot com?

Thanks!

hakuin

• World Citizen
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2007, 05:30:02 pm »

Absolutely...just sent you an email. Please let me know if I can test/try anything else to help out.  Thanks for taking the time to look into this....

paulfife

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2007, 10:58:44 am »

All of my major syncing issues were resolved by the latest MC (157), except for the issue with random errors appearing. When this happens sometimes retrying the sync will work fine, other times I need to disconnect the device and reconnect it. I never have any problems transferring outside of MC. Here's a log snippet (I can email the full log if needed):

0015265: 504: Handheld: CWMDMSupport::SafeInsert: Insert3(...) hr: -2147024865
0015265: 504: Handheld: CWMDMSupport::SafeInsert: Finish (47 ms)
0015265: 504: Handheld: CWMDMSupport::UploadFile: Finish (6781 ms)
0015265: 504: Handheld: CWMDMSupport::Upload: Transfer error 0: Slate Daily.mp3 transfer failed (-2147024865).

Also what is the long delay at the end of the sync? Is it setting up playlists or something at this point? If so it would seems like a major optimization could be done by not re-syncing playlists that have not changed, or have no files affected. Since that may be complicated, it would be nice to be able to not sync playlists, but leave the ones on the device alone.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2007, 03:02:59 pm »

Slipknot,

I think we found (and fixed) the hang you were seeing.  Please test build 163 and later.

Hakuin,

We couldn't reproduce the transfer problem, but we'll bring a Clix in tomorrow to test that specific device.  One little thought, the playing (or paused) file may not transfer to a WMDM device.  Could this explain what you're seeing? (also, this will be changed in a coming build)

Paulfife,

I'm not sure why it's failing to sync.  What type of device are you using?

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2007, 03:58:08 pm »

Slipknot,

I think we found (and fixed) the hang you were seeing.  Please test build 163 and later.

Cool.  Thanks.  when will it be available to the civilians?

hakuin

• World Citizen
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2007, 08:30:33 pm »

Matt,

I did notice that the track currently selected in Playing Now would cause a hang...but this was not the cause of the problem I reported. 

One other note:  I synced the track I sent you to my Clix (with album art disabled). I was playing that track today on the Clix, and noticed that the artist and album info were not transferred.  No idea why, but I think there are tag issues with the files that won't sync --- but note that all these files synced via WMP11. 

paulfife

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2007, 01:18:36 pm »

Paulfife,

I'm not sure why it's failing to sync.  What type of device are you using?

I'm using an iRiver H10 20 Gig with firmware 2.51.

slipknot

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2007, 11:33:09 am »

Fixed: Transferring a handheld cancel could fail when conversions were in progress. (especially with 4 running at a time)

I synched a number of 2000 track sets (with few conversions) last night, worked perfectly.

Then I did about 6000 tracks with full APE->MP3 conversions (deleted from ipod and cache) and went to bed.

MC was crashed this morning, with the dialog box saying MC had to close.

The ipod looked to be fully synched when I used the OS to eject it.

jbholtz

• Recent member
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2007, 08:25:01 am »

I've experienced this as well.  When I try to sync my whole library (~75GB) It seems to make it through but after I eject it the iPod doesn't have anything on it.  MC seems to have a second dialog window open with nothing on it.  I never actually see it but it's in the task bar.  When I reconnect it it says that it needs to be re-initialized.

Now the new part to this is that if I hit Sync Handheld and drag a couple of albumns to the drop zone and sync....everything works alright.  Since it takes about 5 hours to resync 75GB I'll try to drag everything to the drop zone instead of hitting a smartlist All Songs Sync tonight.  Hope this helps.

jbholtz

• Recent member
« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2007, 08:28:19 am »

Sorry.  BTW I'm on a 80GB iPOD 5th Gen and using MC 12.164
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up