INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC should help to keep my artist database homogenous [new feature request]  (Read 2528 times)

phoenix91

• World Citizen

MC makes ripping this easy. I put a CD in my CD drive, get all the CD info from YADB, make a quick visual scan of the displayed data, correct tipoes, if I see any and start ripping.

And then (mainly with multiple artist albums) I end up with a couple of new artists in my database. Some artists are really new, but some are just not in the written format I want them.

Examples:
- I prefer The Beatles and not Beatles nor The Beatels nor Beatles, The nor The Beetles, ...
- and I want Freddy Fender and not Freddie Fender nor Fredy Fender nor F. Fender, ...
many more examples available.

Now, I scan my artist database from time to time and clean the artist names manually. This is quite a (stupid?) work.

But I would like that:
MC shows me in some way if an artist is already in my artist database or not, before I start ripping a CD or importing audio files.
Preferably in:
- CD view in Drives and Devices
- Directory view in MyComputer for not imported audio files

The warning can be a different background color for the artist field if the artist is actually not in my database. Maybe this is a problem with skins. Other ways that point my eye to „new artists“ are also welcome.

Besides, OttoImport: Similar problem, but has to be discussed sparately.

Are there other users with an idea or solution for my problem. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

U.

AustinBike

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...

I agree completely.  I can't stand when you have "Paul Oakenfold" and "Paul Oakenfold, feat. XXXX" It really screws you up on an ipod.  Anything to help correct that problem would be great.  And while the "ignore articles" (like a, an, the) helps in grouping, I'd like a way to highlight and correct easily.

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.

I agree completely.  I can't stand when you have "Paul Oakenfold" and "Paul Oakenfold, feat. XXXX" It really screws you up on an ipod.

I also have been trying to figure out a way to "fix" this. But the original post won't adress this I guess.

I hoped i could use the Artist (Auto) to assign it the actuall artist, then assign the artist to the complete "artist list". But the auto field can't be overided I discovered...

What i think i would like (not sure yet) is  a field which one could group by all artist. eg:
Radiohead
Radiohead feat. U.N.K.L.E
The Game vs. 50 Cent

Would give a column of the following (maybe called something like "Artist (All)"):
Radiohead
U.N.K.L.E
The Game
50 Cent

And a column with the following (maybe called something like "Artist (Base)"):
Radiohead
The Game

Any suggestions on how to obtain this?
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

sithlord0338

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...

I would love to see this implemented.

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.

dobblepost...
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.

Sorry for butting in on the last post.

To the original post; a column with a "Exists in db" or something, would maybe be easier. Then the skins wouldn't be a problem.

mhakman

• World Citizen

The actual problem is the quality of information in YADB. It should use only official artist names. Because this database is maintained by everyone in the world the information there will not always be consistent because not all of us are equally careful. It would require huge supervising resources to make it right which in some cases would lead to endless discussions about what is the official name for a particular artist. The same goes for album and track names.

The original problem is that the music publishers never managed to create a common and global identification system in the way the book publishers did (ISBN number) and a unique global catalog of published music.

When an artist or album name appears as new, it would be nice to have MC ask you before start of ripping whether it really is new and allow you to correct the name if not.

However, personally, I use YADB information only as a suggestion and edit it when needed before committing.

/Mikael

AustinBike

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...

What I actually end up doing is scrolling through my artist listing in MC and looking for duplicates.  I have to do this every few months.

If there was a way to flag a "similar" artist (i.e. 50% of the name was similar to something else) it would make the task a lot easier.

I wonder if there are any external tools to analyze this?

phoenix91

• World Citizen

When an artist or album name appears as new, it would be nice to have MC ask you before start of ripping whether it really is new and allow you to correct the name if not.

I personally don't like popup messages very much during my workflow. I would prefer to have this information in a graphical way in the pane (additional column, background color). But a popup is much more better than no information at all.
I think this verification should be extended for the "import audio files" function too.

What I actually end up doing is scrolling through my artist listing in MC and looking for duplicates.  I have to do this every few months.

It starts to be really quite a big work when the artist database grows to about 4000 artists.
What do the MC users with the really big music databases think about this? Due to older posts, there are a couple around with databases of 50'000 and more tracks.

AustinBike

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...

~6300 artists, ~39K songs, that's the method I use :(
Pages: [1]   Go Up