INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how to find out all tags in library that differ from the ones in the file?  (Read 1389 times)

Osho

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Hi,

I was wondering if there was an easy way to find out all the tags in library that were different from the ones stored in the file? I have my files on a NAS, which are being read by two libraries on two computers. Most of the files have the same tags in both libraries but for some files the tabs are different in the two libraries. Now, I always edit tags in only one library. So, how am I seeing this discrepancy? And, what is the best way to ensure that I do not see discrepancy in such cases?

thanks,
Osho

AustinBike

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...

The easiest thing that I can think of would be to go into library tools and choose "update library with tags", which is a complete pain in the butt, except that it works.

There should be a setting to have MC do this in the background during empty cycles.

dcwebman

The only issue with doing the "update library from tags" is making the assumption that the file tags are correct. The funny thing is that I was thinking this morning of this same question. Sometimes when I rip at home I bring the files to work so I have them there. Then at lunchtime  ;) I might finish the files by trying to find lyrics for the songs. I then bring the changed ones back home. I just realized this morning though that there could be a chance that I hadn't done the "update library from tags" for some so my library at home may be wrong for some files. It would be nice to be able to run something that would show the differences and allow the correct action, either "update library from tags" or "update tags from library" for each file that was different.
Jeff

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.

Normaly, I guess your new changes get be written to your file at work. And if you do a new "run auto import" with the "check for external update", this should go well.
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team

Normaly, I guess your new changes get be written to your file at work. And if you do a new "run auto import" with the "check for external update", this should go well.

That would be a heavy hand 'make it match the file' fix.  I think the poster is looking for a way to find the differences first then CHOOSE whether the file or the library is correct and have those values committed to both places.

AustinBike

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...

But, I do all of my tagging outside of MC.  I would like a switch, like on a blackberry, that says when syncing, which one wins.

Osho

• MC Beta Team

Well, this is the issue I face: I have all my files on a NAS server. I import the files locally on the server PC in a MC12 where I do all the editing of the tags. All the files have the right tag in MC12 library in the server PC. The same set of files (mounted on a network drive) are imported locally on another "client" PC. There are some files that don't show up in the right place on the client PC i.e. incorrect tags.

The main reason why this happens is that there are some files which don't have their tags updated in server MC12 library. This happens because either the files are read-only, the files are of .mp4 types or some unknown reason. So, what is the best way to ensure that the two PC's libraries have the same tags?

thanks,
Osho

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

I use copies of the same main library on all PCs. I have explained my system here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=28617.msg198156#msg198156

MC12 has a new shared database feature. It might be suitable for you:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=36736.0
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up