INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Committing changes to tags  (Read 1485 times)

AustinBike

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Committing changes to tags
« on: January 15, 2007, 06:58:50 pm »

Why does MC not automatically update the tags?

I updated a bunch of albums this evening, but when I went to look at the tags, they were not updated.

Why is this?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Committing changes to tags
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 07:10:19 pm »

Any changes will be saved to tags.

The only exception would be read-only files or if you disable this in Options > General > Tagging.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MusicHawk

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Committing changes to tags
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 08:32:51 pm »

I updated a bunch of albums this evening, but when I went to look at the tags, they were not updated.

This happened to me with 12.0.139, which is when I switched from MC11. I updated about 1500 tags in the database, assuming that as-always the changes were written to the files. Then for another reason I did a refresh from files to tags, and all my MC12 database changes were lost. But all tags changed via MC11 were preserved and reloaded.

After discovering the problem, I checked many of the files and found that none of the tag changes I'd made in MC12 were saved.

I believe "Update tags when file info changes" has always been checked -- it is right now, and I've never explicitly changed it.

I upgraded to 12.0.147 and did a bunch of careful testing, and I can't recreate the problem. So, I'm hoping it was a now-fixed bug, rather than unreliable behavior.

Opinion:

Is "Update tags when file info changes" really the best language? Which "tags" isn't stated, "info" is vague, and "file" is confusing, because the option just above it is "Automatically import files into Media Library". Since this clearly means physical files, the next option could be interpreted to mean  "Update Library tags when physical file tags change" -- the opposite of what it does.

Would the option's behavior be clearer if it said "Update file tags when Library tags are changed"?)

Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.
Pages: [1]   Go Up