INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question: Does "Backup and Restore" Library do the same for thumbnail databases?  (Read 1562 times)

Osho

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Hi,

I was wondering that "Backup Library" and "Restore Library" commands also backup and restore the thumbnails that are built?

thanks,
Osho

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Thumbnails can be very large relative to the library, so they aren't included in backups.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Osho

• MC Beta Team

Thumbnails can be very large relative to the library, so they aren't included in backups.

Thanks for the quick reply.

If I restore a library, do I have to recreate all the thumbnails? Or, will MC12 reuse whatever thumbnails were previously created?

thanks,
Osho

Osho

• MC Beta Team

If I restore a library, do I have to recreate all the thumbnails? Or, will MC12 reuse whatever thumbnails were previously created?

To answer my own question, I experimented. And, I did find out that MC12 has to recreate all the thumbnails after a "Restore Library" operation. I don't know why it does that!! Shouldn't it be able to use thumbnails previously generated?

This is my setup: I have a NAS server (say Main-Computer) hosting all the media files. I also have a HTPC connected to my audio system. I run MC12 on both of them. Now, due to various reasons; the best option that I have found to managing libraries on both these machines is the following:

• Both computers mount the NAS on H:, the same drive letter.
  • On Main-Computer, MC12 is used for editing, importing and otherwise managing the library. I make a backup of the library every time I make a bunch of changes.
  • On HTPC, I restore from the backed-up library in the previous step to get the latest changes in tags, imports etc.
  • Every time, I restore library on HTPC, I have to rebuild thumbnails for *everything* in the library. Even if all what I did was add a few files to the library, i have to recreate the thumbnails for everything that has never changed. It takes over 3 hours to do this operation on HTPC!

Is there any way that when I restore library, MC12 can use the previously generated thumbnails?

thanks,
Osho

P.S. If you have suggestion for better managing libraries on two computers, that would be appreciated. Please note that I have already tried the following options:

• Library Server. Doesn't work for extracted DVDs either as .iso file or as directories.
  • Shared Library: I have put the library folder on the shared NAS drive on the Main-Server to try this option. But, since HTPC uses a 802.11g wireless connection - this option doesn't work too well for me. Everything is so slow on HTPC.
  • Separate "non-restored" library on HTPC: I tried to maintain a separate library on HTPC. No back-ups from the Main-Server PC library. The problem with these is I have many tag mismatches between the library. I also have to import everything twice. It became a nightmare to manually sync the two libraries to make sure they have the same tags/files.

Are there any automated scripts to ease such usage?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

• Shared Library: I have put the library folder on the shared NAS drive on the Main-Server to try this option. But, since HTPC uses a 802.11g wireless connection - this option doesn't work too well for me. Everything is so slow on HTPC.

A 1GB wired LAN would be better   ;)

However, a wireless LAN should be slower than normally only before the "client" has build the thumbnails. The database files are automatically copied to the client so the database location should not be a problem. The client should be able to preserve the already created thumbnails, but I think they get erased on startup if the client uses a copy of the same library locally at times. MC rebuilds the thumbnails if they are not fully synchronized with the database files.

Are there any automated scripts to ease such usage?

I copy the library files and the thumbnails to two other PCs. This works fine if the thumbnails and library are from the same moment (i.e. fully synchronized). I use bat files for simplifying the process.

glynor uses scripts for the same purpose. He has explained his system and published the scripts. Try the forum search.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Osho

• MC Beta Team

A 1GB wired LAN would be better   ;)

I wish I could do it :). But my house isn't wired for CAT-5 cables and the two PCs are on different levels. Running a network cable through stairs (I have tried it!) looks so messy and ugly that wife freaks out in a nano-second :).

However, a wireless LAN should be slower than normally only before the "client" has build the thumbnails. The database files are automatically copied to the client so the database location should not be a problem.

I am not sure what you mean? Can you elaborate what is being copied from where to where in this case?

The client should be able to preserve the already created thumbnails, but I think they get erased on startup if the client uses a copy of the same library locally at times. MC rebuilds the thumbnails if they are not fully synchronized with the database files.

What is "fully synchronized"? and, how does MC keep track of it? per each file?

I copy the library files and the thumbnails to two other PCs. This works fine if the thumbnails and library are from the same moment (i.e. fully synchronized). I use bat files for simplifying the process.

Where are the thumbnails stored? And, how should I copy them (if I am doing it manually)? Could you please post your bat files?

glynor uses scripts for the same purpose. He has explained his system and published the scripts. Try the forum search.

Thanks. I will search for it.

Osho

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

I am not sure what you mean? Can you elaborate what is being copied from where to where in this case?

MC copies the library files to a temporary local location when MC detects that the database is already in use by another MC.

What is "fully synchronized"? and, how does MC keep track of it? per each file?

If the thumbnails and the library files are modified separately they'll be out of synch. They must be from the same "snapshot". I don't know how MC checks this.

Where are the thumbnails stored? And, how should I copy them (if I am doing it manually)? Could you please post your bat files?

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=35990.0
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Osho

• MC Beta Team

Thanks Alex for the help. I set up my system as you suggested. On both computers the library is now stored at

C:\Library

and the thumbnails are stored in

C:\Library\tn.

All the media files are on NAS, which are mounted as H: on both computers.

I use unison http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/ to synchronize C:\Library on both computers. Unison is very affective in only transferring the difference between the two computers. So, now what uses to take hours (manual restore of library + thumbnail creation) takes only two minutes!

thanks,
Osho
Pages: [1]   Go Up